Aus $ at 1.52

devon67

If I had to place a bet - I'd say the rate to the UK would be 1.80 by xmas. But then I have nothing to lose, as I'm not ready to move money over. I can't see the Aussie staying that high without the country going into recession, and if it goes into recession, then I can't see it staying that high.

If I had to place a bet - I'd say the rate to the UK would be 1.80 by xmas. But then I have nothing to lose, as I'm not ready to move money over. I can't see the Aussie staying that high without the country going into recession, and if it goes into recession, then I can't see it staying that high.

1.8 I dream about 1.8! This would be good :smile:. Iron ore prices & Coke prices are at lowest levels since 2009 and still dropping. If a new price equilibrium is reached (considerably lower) then there should be a tipping point i.e reduced investment as a result of diminished (ROI), impact on employement and then house prices and ex-rates. The impact on ex-rates would be a good thing for their other exports in terms making them more competitive. It is not healthy to have a high dependency in one or two industries. Next week PMI result from China and interest rate decision from Oz. Should be interesting. Not to mention whats kicking off in Europe! What a mess!....No more ranting from me.

PMI results for China are out - they were down - I didn't think it was a massive slump - but the telegraph played it up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/9514084/Chinese-manufacturing-shows-shock-slump.html

1.8 I dream about 1.8! This would be good :smile:. Iron ore prices & Coke prices are at lowest levels since 2009 and still dropping. If a new price equilibrium is reached (considerably lower) then there should be a tipping point i.e reduced investment as a result of diminished (ROI), impact on employement and then house prices and ex-rates. The impact on ex-rates would be a good thing for their other exports in terms making them more competitive. It is not healthy to have a high dependency in one or two industries. Next week PMI result from China and interest rate decision from Oz. Should be interesting. Not to mention whats kicking off in Europe! What a mess!....No more ranting from me.

PMI results for China are out - they were down - I didn't think it was a massive slump - but the telegraph played it up

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/china-business/9514084/Chinese-manufacturing-shows-shock-slump.html

Yup this not suprising..this will improve / strengthen the £ by a few points thinking £1.54/55 by close of play Monday. Let the games begin!

The price of iron ore will be very interesting next week. It leveled on Friday. Can't wait to see where it is next Friday.

Yup this not suprising..this will improve / strengthen the £ by a few points thinking £1.54/55 by close of play Monday. Let the games begin!

I've been watching the rate for about a year now -- getting all sorts of financial updates via twitter. Decided to wait until visa granted before exchanging. Unfortunately as soon as it was granted the rate went into freefall. I exchanged last Friday at 1.52 (rate at which I'd set my budgets) after weeks of willing it back from the precipice and was grateful it wasn't 1.46.

Despite thinking I would never look at the rate again (until we sell our house in a year or two) I am slightly disappointed that I missed out on today's higher rate, but the alternative could have been much worse.

As someone said earlier, "it is what it is". No point in "regretting it for the rest of your life" as someone else said (how dramatic!). We arrive in Perth in two weeks and so glad we have finally sent the dosh.

Cheers

Ross

I've been watching the rate for about a year now -- getting all sorts of financial updates via twitter. Decided to wait until visa granted before exchanging. Unfortunately as soon as it was granted the rate went into freefall. I exchanged last Friday at 1.52 (rate at which I'd set my budgets) after weeks of willing it back from the precipice and was grateful it wasn't 1.46.

Despite thinking I would never look at the rate again (until we sell our house in a year or two) I am slightly disappointed that I missed out on today's higher rate, but the alternative could have been much worse.

As someone said earlier, "it is what it is". No point in "regretting it for the rest of your life" as someone else said (how dramatic!). We arrive in Perth in two weeks and so glad we have finally sent the dosh.

Cheers

Ross

I'm trying to balance a recovering exchange rate against how much we could afford to drop the house price by in attempt to sell it. I have a target AUD amount we need which could be achieved through either getting a certain amount for the house or more favourable exchange rates.

Despite the house being on for less than valuation price we might need to go lower again.

I'm trying to balance a recovering exchange rate against how much we could afford to drop the house price by in attempt to sell it. I have a target AUD amount we need which could be achieved through either getting a certain amount for the house or more favourable exchange rates.

Despite the house being on for less than valuation price we might need to go lower again.

Good luck. What sort of timescale are you working to? We had ours on the market for a year and lots of time wasters later we've still go it. Renting it out now, but would have been nice to have the house money. Valuations these days seem to be meaningless, ours was on for 15k below valuation.

Ross

Good luck. What sort of timescale are you working to? We had ours on the market for a year and lots of time wasters later we've still go it. Renting it out now, but would have been nice to have the house money. Valuations these days seem to be meaningless, ours was on for 15k below valuation.

Ross

We were hoping to be there already. Will be staying with family and get a job once I'm there so no time scale driver in that respect, but there is now a serious health issue of a family member in Oz that makes the need to get there more pressing.

We need the equity from the property here for any chance of a having a deposit for a house in Oz.

We were hoping to be there already. Will be staying with family and get a job once I'm there so no time scale driver in that respect, but there is now a serious health issue of a family member in Oz that makes the need to get there more pressing.

We need the equity from the property here for any chance of a having a deposit for a house in Oz.

Hope it works out for you. The property market as you know is very difficult, but at least the exchange rate is heading the right way.

All the best

Ross

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fedupwithjunk

I believe RT have a joint operation going on in Mongolia designed to share development costs and possibly do a deal on marketing. What this means on the global market price we'll have to wait and see.

Archived