marriage before emigrating!

adamexmouth

Least it will give you something else to think about. I suppose your wedding would be your big going away party, being able to share your day with your family around. Least if there are any family dramas which usually happen with weddings you will be jetting away from them.

You should not have any issues regarding your visas. If there is a change of name and new passport gotten you need to fill in form 929, with the new passport details and your visa will be linked to new passport.

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/visaevid.html

I think planning a wedding is stressful. So far (and I have 2 weeks till move date), I've not really found moving stressful. We only started planning the move about 6 weeks ago. I guess it all depends on the type of people you are. My hubby and I are organised but VERY relaxed type of people. If you or your partner get highly strung easily then I'd think about it long and hard.

Just a note that wedding / leaving party is a good idea, however having started the goodbyes recently you will find that you have a lot of sadness and tears from loved ones that may overwhelm the occasion.

If I were you though, I'd do it. Good luck!

We did it,,lol,, we got married 4 weeks before we left the country and it worked well for us. We had a huge wedding / leaving party with one side of the room decorated in wedding style and the other side with Aussie decorations.

Everything prior to my arrival here (including visa) is in my maiden name, everything here is in my married name. We never had any problems and just carried the marriage certificate with our visa/ passport .

Good Luck with everything

Cal x

Guest bowow2011

We did it, we got married and emigrated 4 days later!!! Would I do it that close again.....probably not I think I needed 2 weeks after our wedding before we flew out as we still had so much to do. But we had one fab leaving party too and it made it much easier saying "see you later"

I would have got married before we emigrated as it is an enormous faff to arrange once you no longer live in the UK (if you want to get married there). You basically have to be there in person to apply for a marriage licence and then must wait about 4 weeks until you can actually get married. Some of my friends have done it and had to take 6 weeks leave to fit everything in including honeymoon.

We're totally undecided about what to do now. We don't want to spend 18 months worth of annual leave for it as there are so many places in Australasia that we want to visit! The other option is to get married here but hardly any of our families would be able to come, which would be gutting for them and us.

Archived