Giving birth under Medicare

bubbe2005

I would like to hear from those who didn't use private health insurance and just went along with giving birth in a public hospital - what was your experience?

Yes you don't get to choose your doctor or have a private room to yourself, so after giving birth how many other patients did you share the room with? less than 10?

What did you have to pay for? and what didn't you have to pay for? I read you pay for scans but you claim 80% back from the medicare office?

How many days until you got discharged - providing everything went well with the birth and baby is healthy?

I had a quick and blessed birth here with my DD in the US and would like to have a good experience there as well in the future.

My friend recently had a baby through the medicare system at the women and childrens hospital in Adelaide and said they were wonderful and she was really well looked after. She said costs were minimal. iirc she was discharged after two days, sorry I don't know how many people were on the ward.

To be honest, I've heard nothing but good things about the publc system for pregnancy, and deliberately have health insurance that doesn't cover it, as I'm perfectly happy to go through the public system.

My daughter used the local public hospital system for both her babies.

The first was an emergency caesarean and after the birth she had a private room with ensuite and was in hospital for a week.

She had previously met most of the midwifery nurses, either through her regular consultations throughout the pregnancy or through the antenatal classes held at the hospital (for both herself and husband).

The second birth was a planned caesarean - due to the size of the baby and her previous experience. She was in a 2 bed ward, also with ensuite. I think she was there for 5 days.

I don't think there are any maternity wards larger than 2 bed in our local public hospital.

My niece in Canberra has had 2 babies in the public hospital system there, had quick and uncomplicated deliveries for both and was home by the next day for both.

I'm not sure that they had to pay anything for scans but, if so, would certainly have been reimbursed for much of the cost.

I would like to hear from those who didn't use private health insurance and just went along with giving birth in a public hospital - what was your experience?

Hi. I didnt use private cover as I arrived 30 weeks pregnant I found the public system excellent here in Brisbane.

Yes you don't get to choose your doctor or have a private room to yourself, so after giving birth how many other patients did you share the room with? less than 10?

I had a pretty straightforward delivery so midwife led, and never got to see a consultant during delivery. The midwife was superb and very experienced, and with a problem that could have been an issue, she dealt with it very well and wasnt a problem. There was only 2 in my ward after.

What did you have to pay for? and what didn't you have to pay for? I read you pay for scans but you claim 80% back from the medicare office?

I didnt have to pay for anything, mind you, I didnt have any scans as all were done in the UK, but if you go to a bulk billing practice, shouldnt have to pay up front, it is automatically claimed on medicare. My niece is pregnant at the moment and has not had to pay anything towards any scan so far.

How many days until you got discharged - providing everything went well with the birth and baby is healthy?

It was my 3rd child, and I was discharged after 2 days but asked if I wanted to go after 24hrs which I declined and chose to stay another day which wasnt a problem.

I had a quick and blessed birth here with my DD in the US and would like to have a good experience there as well in the future.[/QUOte]

Good luck with everything. The public system is really very good, and I felt the only difference being that you didnt have all your appointments with the same doctor of your choice, but for me, it was a midwife who delivered my baby so didnt need the doctor.

I'm preggers atm (32 weeks) and am going public - so far so good! We're going midwife led at Casey Hospital (Berwick, Melbourne) and they've been fab (except for the dietician at an early class who was a total moron).

There are some out-of-pocket costs - the combined screening test, and you can get stung for extras for the ultrasound unless you go bulk-billing or in the hospital (which we did).

I had an amniocentesis @ 15-16 weeks, and we went private for that to make sure we could get it done quickly. That was very pricey, but the doctor was excellent. Luckily that all came back clear, so we're in the home stretch.

Casey also charge extra for all the classes - I wouldn't bother with the 'baby bellies' (see my earlier comment about moron dietician), but the later ante-natal class is good.

The maternity ward has a mixture of private rooms and 2 bed rooms, all with ensuites. They try to put 1st timers in the private rooms if they can, but no promises! The birthing rooms are in the same area and are nice and big (and have showers), and a couple of birthing baths if you want.

For first-timers they keep you in for up to 24hrs after birth if all is well (I'm happy with a short stay - reduces the risk of infection!)

Can't speak on the end result yet, but we've been happy so far ;)

Archived