457 visa and maternity leave...

Kitty33

Myself and husband have 2 year contracts to start work in January and are both being sponsered for 457 visas individually (we have only recently married and are aware that spousal visas take longer to get and require lots of evidence..)

I have a theoretical question.... if I were to get pregnant during the 2 year contract (not that this is at all planned) what would happen when I went on mat leave? My contract has no allowance for this as I would be working as an 'independent contractor' my concern is that I would go on mat leave and employer would give me my 28 days to find another sponser (which clearly wouldn't happen!) and I'd have to leave!

Is it possible to transfer to a spousal 457 visa once you're in Australia if you already have your own 457? Or are we better off doing he spousal visa now so I don't have to worry about the potential problems?

Would be really grateful of any advice or if anyone has been through the same situation it would be lovely to hear your experiences,

Thank you!!!

Myself and husband have 2 year contracts to start work in January and are both being sponsered for 457 visas individually (we have only recently married and are aware that spousal visas take longer to get and require lots of evidence..)

You are not applying for a "spousal visa", that is something entirely different. You would simply be added onto your husband's 457 application and as you are married I would not expect too much trouble at all.

I have a theoretical question.... if I were to get pregnant during the 2 year contract (not that this is at all planned) what would happen when I went on mat leave? My contract has no allowance for this as I would be working as an 'independent contractor' my concern is that I would go on mat leave and employer would give me my 28 days to find another sponser (which clearly wouldn't happen!) and I'd have to leave!

I am not sure how you can be on a 457 visa but be an "independent contractor" at the same time. Isn't your sponsor your employer? In which case you are entitled to the same maternity leave rights as anyone else.

Is it possible to transfer to a spousal 457 visa once you're in Australia if you already have your own 457? Or are we better off doing he spousal visa now so I don't have to worry about the potential problems?

Definitely possible to add yourself to your husband's 457 visa at a later stage, assuming the employer is agreeable. As I mention though, this is not a "spousal visa" application, it is an addition to 457 visa application.

Thank you Rupert! Feel much happier already, will check with employer about the mat leave issue and see what they say. What I meant was going as a spouse on my husbands 457 visa which can apparently take longer than having my own sponsered 457.

thanks again

Thank you Rupert! Feel much happier already, will check with employer about the mat leave issue and see what they say. What I meant was going as a spouse on my husbands 457 visa which can apparently take longer than having my own sponsered 457.

thanks again

No not at all. Who knows which visa would be processed quicker, his or yours, it is a toss up.

thanks again

It is part of the 457 visa conditions that you work full time. I can't imagin maternity leave would fit in well with the visa. Definatly just get yourself added to your husbands visa.

It is part of the 457 visa conditions that you work full time. I can't imagin maternity leave would fit in well with the visa. Definatly just get yourself added to your husbands visa.

I agree it might be easier, but someone on a 457 visa is entitled to the same maternity leave as anyone else.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/index/visas/subclass-457/

Archived