Car compliance - mph speedo, really stuck!

Guest Vixie99

Guest Vixie99

Hi iron chef (and others)

I am looking for some help, I have a via approval to bring my car in.

By the end of this week I have a decision to make on whether I still bring the car, if I do work to it in the uk or not.

The issue is, I have a 2005 plate Mercedes which has a speedo as follows ( I have photo and can send):

Outer analogue dial, showing MPH only

inner digital dial, always shows (but small) speed in KPH.

I can also change digital inner display to show KPH digitally, but can change at any time from speed being displayed to temp/radio etc.

Will my speedo meet ADR compliance or does it need changing?

Mercedes are being useless and can't answer this and also now tell me that they don't know the right part number to get a KPH speedo which will fit my car....can hardly believe it, but as you can see if I bring the car and it fails I will have a nightmare with Mercedes and perhaps not be able to change it, resulting in shipping the car bAck to the uk. Not something I want to contemplate.

Can anyone categorically tell me if it will or won't pass in its current state?

Finegrs crossed in anticipation of some help, thanks!

vicki

I can tell you that we brought our Audi A6 over and it has the dual display speedo and didn't need changing over - even the odometer is still in miles.

But it can vary depending on your inspector I'm afraid - there's not really any way to say categorically if it will pass or not. The garage you take it to for compliance stuff should be able to make any changes you need.

Guest mbslkfirst

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you. Got an SLK200.

I understand that through Star dialogue software you can change the country of origin to Australia and then the analogue will reset in Kmh. I have been quoted £65 from an Independant MB service agent in Nottingham- although havent got that done so far.

Who are you using for shipping?

Thanks

Guest Vixie99

Thanks everyone, I can easily change the digital display to kph so that's good. I paid a visit to the inspection centre yesterday, benefit of being here for a few days, They seemed ok with it even though the outer ring only has mph. Looks like I can save spending £1000.

Mbslkfirst, I am putting the car and motorbike in the container with my household goods. Using johnmason. Was tough choice and ultimately might not be the most convenient as I have to drive the car to them to load, who knows how I keep it clean. Decided no matter how clean I get it, quarantine will probably say its not clean enough!

Guest mbslkfirst
Thanks everyone, I can easily change the digital display to kph so that's good. I paid a visit to the inspection centre yesterday, benefit of being here for a few days, They seemed ok with it even though the outer ring only has mph. Looks like I can save spending £1000.

Mbslkfirst, I am putting the car and motorbike in the container with my household goods. Using johnmason. Was tough choice and ultimately might not be the most convenient as I have to drive the car to them to load, who knows how I keep it clean. Decided no matter how clean I get it, quarantine will probably say its not clean enough!

So you are already in Oz? Please keep me posted- would be interested in knowing how you got on. I still havent decided on the Removal company though

Archived