Medicare and anti-malarials

lauradarlin

Hi all

Im currently in Oz on a WHV and have an opportunity to pop over to India. This is totally unexpected and while I believe I have had all the necessary immunisations I'm wondering how to go about getting anti malaria drugs. When in the UK I got them on a normal prescription so cost me less than £10. Does anyone know if I'll be able to use medicare for this or if they'll only entertain 'necessary' treatment? If not any other suggestions? Thanks :)

Its usually done on a private script (ie not covered on the PBS), so price will depend on what the chemist charges

Indeed, in fact it's not covered on the NHS either, so no idea how you got it previously in the UK. Some of them are fairly cheap, so might not break the bank.

Cheers

Ross

Not sure re Australia Medical care but look on www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk antimalarials are not covered by the NHS in the UK so you were lucky to get an NHS prescription for them last time. This web site is one that is a sister site to one that professional travel health advisors use in the UK so should be up to date. The info should be the same as you would get in Australia as the risk of disease will be the same. It's a starting point at least but you should check with an Autralian health professional...... I am sure they have travel clinics!

Guest littlesarah

The cost will depend on which drug, which depends on the resistance pattern of the area you're travelling to.

Whatever the cost, better to spend money on prevention than risk contracting the disease.

I was on them for work until recently (FIFO Perth to Africa) and had to pay. Some are cheap but can have lots of nasty side effects. Malerone is best and least side effects, but expensive. Think it was about $15 per day and you start one day before going into malarial area and one week after leaving

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It was several years ago when I had doxycycline for Tanzania through the NHS so things may have changed or as I was going to do charity work as a recent (and poor) graduate, maybe the GP took pity on me! Who knows but somehow I got it cheap!

Have had friends that used malerone with some pretty nasty side effects so if doxycycline is effective for the area I'm going to I think I'd prefer to stick with what I know.

Will check out some travel websites and see what the damage is likely to be :)

Cheers :)

Archived