Transportation in Brisbane

bubbe2005

Trains, ferries, buses. I do not live in Brisbane but have used public transport around the city. Depends on where you will be living I guess.

Will depend on what area you are interested in, once you have made up your mind I am sure some of the residents will be able to help you.

You may also like to post in the Queensland forum there is a link at the foot of this one.

From my experience, having kids who get themselves from A to B and knowing many folk who commute, it's OK..................for now. Campbell the Slasher has his eyes on it though, and he's already talking of slashing bus routes and train services

What's the transportation like in Brsibane? Is it non-existent and you must have a car to get from A-B?

What about inner Brisbane?

I guess it depends on what you're used to. I think living without a car altogether would be tricky. I guess you could commute to work by train and bus, but if you're wanting to see something of Australia at the weekends then relying on public transport alone would be limiting. Having said that, you could always do a city break to Cairns or Sydney. Or rent a car when you need one.

I usually get the train in to work, unless I've got to carry boxes of stuff in or out. The train is quite good, it's not too expensive and it's quite reliable. The problem is it's overcrowded, especially at peak. And there's limited scope for improvement, because the number of trains is limited by track, and the length of them is limited by station/platform length. I get on at the second station in the line and I'm off before it gets into the central area, so I miss most of the crowds. And I go early (at 5:50am), but even at this time the journey is classified as "peak". As I step off at 6am, the train is 3/4 full.

Buses are sharing the road with the cars, and again at peak time the jams are a bit depressing. It's one thing to drive an hour to work and back when you're moving along; quite another to take an hour to drive say, 2km, with every other driver trying to squeeze in. In my opinion, it's definitely worthwhile picking a suburb to live which is commutable from where you work.

Archived