Jewellery

Guest jimnkatie

Guest jimnkatie

Hi shippers are coming just a quick question wifey wants to know if her jewllery should be shipped or taken in hand luggage, also can i ship a box or 10 of tea bags?

Thanks Jim..

I'm pretty sure you can ship tea-bags. As for the jewellry a lot depends on what it is and how much she loves it. It'll probably be fine in the container (make sure it's insured) but I know I took any of my really loved stuff with me.

Mind you I did leave a bag of jewellry that I'd planned to put in my suitcase in one of our dressers and forgot about it until we unpacked in Melbourne and it was ifine!!

:)

In regard to jewllery, i took mine with me. I didnt put it in the checked baggage or the hand luggage though. Because it weighed quite a lot (costume stuff mainly) i put it in my handbag so that it wouldnt get checked as part of my allowance.

I would put costume jewellery in the container, anything more valuable take in hand luggage, and don't let it out of your sight! I don't think we brought any food, but you will possibly be able to get what you want when you get here anyway.

With regards to jewellery, it depends on a) the value and b) the sentimental value. If its over something like £500 (or possibly lower) per piece, then you might find you aren't covered by your shipping insurance unless it was specifically mentioned, valued and allowed for on the policy. Therefore if it gets broken or stolen in transit, you won't be able to claim if its worth a lot of money (this might be per individual piece, or for a job lot of 'jewellery' as listed on your policy list - it depends on your specific insurance again).

So if its worth anything I would take it in your hand luggage. If its in anyway sentimental, I wouldn't risk shipping it for all the tea in china (ie my wedding present watch from my parents), and hand luggage again.

With regards to the tea - imho its just not worth it. If its an unopened, commercially prepared in the UK brand, then it probably would get through AQIS, but it would require a specific inspection certainly, which will cost you extra money (as the Aqis fee is paid per part of hour on the time taken to inspect your consignment) and as you can get pretty much every type/brand of tea over here, its not worth it (imho again). If its not allowed, you will then get charged even more for them to destroy it.

If its something very important to you for some reason (I'm a tea addict, seriously important to me, but can't see a specific tea being that important really lol), again, bring it in your luggage (hold luggage is fine) and declare it when you land and if its ok, fab, if not they just take it from you, either way (as long as you have declared it), no extra costs.

HTH a bit :)

Archived