Anyone been to Alice Springs & Ayres Rock?

sarab

Its about 5 ish hours drive from Alice to Yulara (where Uluru is) (if you are in a normal car, probably a bit less, we go slow though to conserve fuel costs). Whether to do both or not sort of depends on you and what things you like/want to see etc.

You can fly straight into Yulara, so don't really need a car (there is a shuttle that goes to Kata (the olgas) and the Rock from the resort), if you didn't want to go to Alice, or fly to Alice, drive to Yulara, fly out of there.

Alice is a little big town, from what we've seen on our travels, much like other larger country towns - it has its fair share of issues, and its fair share of things to see. IMHO its not somewhere I would go to again, but that's just us - others I know love it to death and can't wait to holiday there.

Yulara is lovely, the resort has everything you need, and there is lots to keep you occupied there.

It just sort of depends on a) do you want to drive a long distance or want to fly from one to the other? and b) what do you want to do on holiday?

Like I say - for us I would just fly into Yulara and stay another couple of nights there, but for others, they would do a day trip to the rock (which I think is pretty criminal) and spend a week or more in Alice. Different courses for different horses and all that....

Hi there, if you have transport then there are a 1/2 dozen places around town worth a look. Now is a good time of year, temps are perfect and few flies -). Would reccomend the reptile centre, desert park , home of the royal flying doctors and school of the air etc. Out of town, standley chasm, simpsoms gap and palm valley (4wd) or rainbow valley (4wd). Two days at the rock, two days at kings canyon and two days in The Alice would be a good trip. Have fun.

Archived