Need to return to UK indefinetly

Guest pfjc1000

Guest pfjc1000

Hi all,

New to the forum. I have a question, I am a UK citizen currently living in Sydney along with my wife who is an Australian citizen. Due to circumstances beyond our control, I have to return to the UK indefinitely and my wife is coming with me. Does she need any sort of VISA? I rang the British Consulate and they could not give me a definite answer

Many thanks

:biggrin:

Guest guest41161

Unfortunately, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your return is indefinately, I believe your wife will require a spouse visa.

Laws introduced last month make this a nightmare for the likes of yourself wishing to return. Minimum salary with no dependant children is GBP18600, and I believe this must be guaranteed and a steady income. Unsure of you must have been in your role for a minimum period, earning this amount, before you can apply.

It may mean you moving back, working for specified period, before you can apply for your wifes visa to join you. If you are going back to no job, you need to have had this amount x 3 (almost GBP60000), in your bank account for a minimum of 6 months before you apply.

It is not good, it is not pretty and I wish you the best of luck.

Personally I would seek the assistance of an immigration agent. Feel free to PM me and I can give you details of a guy in London who just helped us secure my wifes visa (just before the new laws were introduced).

That's usually the negative side of these new laws - they affect people who innocently want to bring their spouses into the UK. Most people just do the sham marriages just to get a residency permit and I suppose it is crippling your economy.

Sorry about your move back and I do hope your wife can get her visa sorted asap.

Guest pfjc1000

Hi, thanks all for your help. It might be that my wife will only be in UK until January. We are going back to UK in Sept so she will only be there for 4 1/2 months and she will not be working, does this make any difference??

Guest The Pom Queen
Unfortunately, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if your return is indefinately, I believe your wife will require a spouse visa.

Laws introduced last month make this a nightmare for the likes of yourself wishing to return. Minimum salary with no dependant children is GBP18600, and I believe this must be guaranteed and a steady income. Unsure of you must have been in your role for a minimum period, earning this amount, before you can apply.

It may mean you moving back, working for specified period, before you can apply for your wifes visa to join you. If you are going back to no job, you need to have had this amount x 3 (almost GBP60000), in your bank account for a minimum of 6 months before you apply.

Personally I would seek the assistance of an immigration agent. Feel free to PM me and I can give you details of a guy in London who just helped us secure my wifes visa (just before the new laws were introduced).

What a nightmare, thank you for sharing with us though

Guest pfjc1000

[h=3]Hi Just found this on homeoffice website

NO, in most cases you do not need a visa to come to the UK for a short visit[/h]

[h=2]You told us that[/h]

• you are a national of Australia.
  • you are coming to UK to Visit.
  • you are normally and legally living in Australia.

[h=2]What do you need to do?[/h]If you are coming to the UK for a short visit (up to 6 months), you generally do not need a visa.

However, you should bring documents with you to show our immigration officers when you arrive at the UK border.

The Visiting the UK section describes the different categories of visitor visa, and lists the types of document that you may want to provide. It also explains the conditions of your stay as a visitor.

Although you do not need a visa, you may want to obtain one before you travel (for example, if you have a criminal record or you have previously been refused permission to enter the UK). And youwill need a visa if you want to come here in some categories of visitor (such as a visitor for marriage or civil partnership). The Visiting the UK section contains more information.

crickey that's tough!

I blame all the fools that have abused the system for so long that now people who are genuine find it tough to go home!

jeez

:confused:

Agree with Scotty dogs post, I looked into it from here in the UK at the end of may and got my Application in by the middle of june just before the laws changed, it looks like an absolute nightmare now to be honest.

If you can manage with your wife only being there for the short term on a tourist visa then I would say do that. If there is any chance that you both have to stay a lot longer then I would talk to an agent and get their advise. Good luck.

Guest pfjc1000

Thanks all once again for your help, much appreciated. I think we'll just go over without the wife having a VISA. If we stay longer or she needs to work, we'll have to get the relevant VISA

Cheers

This is the situation we are in. We want to go back in the next few years (as I'm an only child) and we will be snagged by these new rules. I am infuriated that my home country would like to make it that difficult for me to live there with my husband. We have made a point of ensuring the kids have British passports so it is only my husband who requires a visa. I have no idea how I would be supposed to go and get a job in advance, especially as I'm currently a SAHM. What do I do with the children, am I likely to get a high paying job when returning to work (haha I think not). The whole thing is ridiculous and merely set up so they can cut immigration numbers which have increased because of the foolhardy idea of opening the borders to Europe. Now it is genuine citizens who will suffer.

Guest fallguy

Get your husband to go to France (or any other country...but France is nearest) & jump on a boat to the UK!! If it works here in OZ it will defo work in UK!! Our aussie mate here in Perth (who we met in the UK..small world!!) has just married a Swedish girl who was raised & did all her schooling in Perth, but she is only allowed a visa that does not allow her to work, which is surely putting strain on the newlyweds finances. I could understand if it was buy-a-bride, but she has spent most of her life in OZ, her accent is stronger than some true blue Aussies!! End of the day if you are honest & straight as a dye, you get persecuted. If you duck'n'dive and bend the laws....life is sweet!!

Good luck sorting out this unnessesary mess out....bit too late to strengthen the UK's borders... the horse bolted decades ago!!!

This is the situation we are in. We want to go back in the next few years (as I'm an only child) and we will be snagged by these new rules. I am infuriated that my home country would like to make it that difficult for me to live there with my husband. We have made a point of ensuring the kids have British passports so it is only my husband who requires a visa. I have no idea how I would be supposed to go and get a job in advance, especially as I'm currently a SAHM. What do I do with the children, am I likely to get a high paying job when returning to work (haha I think not). The whole thing is ridiculous and merely set up so they can cut immigration numbers which have increased because of the foolhardy idea of opening the borders to Europe. Now it is genuine citizens who will suffer.

I do feel for people in your position. It was only really by chance that I came across the changes as I had to change visas as the one I am currently on is causing mortgage issues. I lodged my visa the 2nd week of june, so got in by a couple of weeks before the rules changed.

I don't have a clue how its going to work, like you say how is someone like you going to make it work, we would have been in the same situation as my wife is a SAHM like you. I reckon it will have to change, there will be lots of complaints about it so they will do something. They have also extended the 'probationary' period as well to I think 5 years???? It used to be 2 before you could apply for perm res.

Archived