tax for whv on an ABN

Guest gerald

Guest gerald

What implications are there for not paying tax in Australia when working on an ABN?

The number of irish lads I have spoke to who are ‘doing a runner’ is ridiculous.

Obviously it will mean they cant return to oz, but would it carry onto any other countries?

Ok so it was a very very long time ago and it may not be the case now, but when I did a WHV I left Aus in 1990, I put in a tax claim and got ALL the tax back that I paid in. Lots of people said I wouldn't get a penny, but someone I know had done it, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I was well impressed. Worth considering (if you paid it in the first place). I would try my best not the upset the tax man in any country!!

Lads on an ABN in construction on a WHV and not paying tax is very common. To be fair they do put almost all of the $$$ earned back into the local economy mind by way of pissing it up in the night.

Regarding it coming back to haunt you, I am unsure though I guess it would depend on the amount and the time elapsed but I would be a bit hesitant of trying to enter other commonwealth countries.

@taylor

Lots of people said I wouldn't get a penny, but someone I know had done it, so I figured I had nothing to lose.

I have found this to be very true. There is a huge amount of misinformation (backpacker grapevine I call it) re tax, almost all erring on the negative for some reason. I was very pleasantly surprised at the tax system in Oz, once you start to do your own research and not listen to chinese whispers.

Edited by digitalis