Arghhhh Shipping Cost Differences

Jackinabox

Hi all.

Just experienced the disparity between shipping costs forthe same volume of contents and bemused at the reasoning that some of thesecompanies give. Free market and competition rule.

Heading to Brisbanevery soon. Now nearing the time to actually get the removals sorted so havebeen whittling the contents of the house down to what we want to take, cantake, need to take etc in comparison to what buying new in Australia would costto replace etc. I believe we have it all down to between 300 and 350 cubic feetmax so have requested quotes based on 350 cubic feet. Seriously thinned outeverything we own and thrown away the clutter from the loft, cupboards, gardenand shed. Could have been a candidate for The Hoarders. We have been packingboxes and numbering them and itemising the contents and gradually storing themin the spare box room, which isn’t that much bigger than 350 cubic feet (modernUK houses forya). We aren’t taking anything ofsignificant size or of significant value (i.e. no 3 piece suits, wardrobes,antiques, jewellery etc) and have packed all items as carefully as possibleusing paper, black bags, cushins and bubble wrap etc so we are confident that we shouldget most, if not all, back intact. Quite adept at packing boxes and travelling.

The boxes and tape we have used have been purchased from a well knownremovals/storage company and we will have essentially packed over 90% of ourshipment ourselves prior to any removals company arriving but will have a 50”TV & glass stand, along with 5 large picture frames and a chest of drawersthat we are leaving to the removal company to pack/protect for us. I alreadyhave a box for the TV but do not have any internal packaging (polystyrene etc)so felt it safer for the ‘professionals’ to do that. The same for the pictureframes (glass). We also have the fridge freezer, washing machine and tumbledryer that will need protecting. So, in essence, the removal company have verylittle to do with regards to actually ‘packing’ anything other than arrive andload up and ship to Brisbane. However, I was not sure if our own purchase ofboxes, packing materials and our own packing efforts will be reflected in theoverall cost of quoted service, which obviously includes time for packing andmaterials. I will see if I can use these as a bartering tool to reduce thequotes when the time comes.

I have done the usual research on PIOand other forums for the removal/shipping companies to use and have contacted 3of the recommended ones as well as a local ‘not so well known’ provider. Allvery polite, helpful, cheerful and have now sent me ‘provisional’ email quotesbased on what I have told them and within an hour of speaking to each. However,these quotes differ greatly and in some cases by as much as £1,000 for the same350 cubic feet but even the cheapest quote is far more than I had anticipatedhaving to pay based on some of the quotes posted on PIOrecently.

I suppose we will end up playing each company off againstone another on price to try and get the quote down closer to what we expected.At the end of the day to me it boils down to who can do it the cheapest as the service promised should be the same regardless of what you eventually pay. Iappreciate that you pay for what you get but removals/shipping isremovals/shipping and we have done most of it ourselves anyway.

I do have concerns about the 'local' providers comments/advise given. Very chatty, polite and seemingly knowledgeable chap who was keen toadvice on the negatives of shipping and the consequences of not doing this andnot doing that etc…….before asking who I was and where I lived etc. Advisedthat I should not have packed anything myself. In his words “doing so is a BIGMISTAKE! Advised that because we have packed the items ourselves then he willneed to open/empty every box to double check the contents against our list because customs willquestion him about what the contents are. This won’t be happening! Also stated that wewould not get any insurance cover (only theirs) as we have packed it ourselves. Utternonsense. (Have spoken with Ian at Letton Percival, mentioned on PIOrecently, and insurance is no problem and at 1.5% to Brisbane).Also stated that Australian customs would take a ‘very dim view’ on us packingit ourselves and will probably open up every single box also. This company hasprovisionally quoted £2,000 + their own insurance @ 4% of shipping value + AQIScharges for the 350 cubic feet. Thisseems a hefty price to pay for less than 1/3 of a shared container that costsaround £3,500. (A price confirmed by other shippers).

Your own experiences and any thoughts on what we should bepaying would be very much appreciated.

Hi all.

Just experienced the disparity between shipping costs forthe same volume of contents and bemused at the reasoning that some of thesecompanies give. Free market and competition rule.

Heading to Brisbanevery soon. Now nearing the time to actually get the removals sorted so havebeen whittling the contents of the house down to what we want to take, cantake, need to take etc in comparison to what buying new in Australia would costto replace etc. I believe we have it all down to between 300 and 350 cubic feetmax so have requested quotes based on 350 cubic feet. Seriously thinned outeverything we own and thrown away the clutter from the loft, cupboards, gardenand shed. Could have been a candidate for The Hoarders. We have been packingboxes and numbering them and itemising the contents and gradually storing themin the spare box room, which isn’t that much bigger than 350 cubic feet (modernUK houses forya). We aren’t taking anything ofsignificant size or of significant value (i.e. no 3 piece suits, wardrobes,antiques, jewellery etc) and have packed all items as carefully as possibleusing paper, black bags, cushins and bubble wrap etc so we are confident that we shouldget most, if not all, back intact. Quite adept at packing boxes and travelling.

The boxes and tape we have used have been purchased from a well knownremovals/storage company and we will have essentially packed over 90% of ourshipment ourselves prior to any removals company arriving but will have a 50”TV & glass stand, along with 5 large picture frames and a chest of drawersthat we are leaving to the removal company to pack/protect for us. I alreadyhave a box for the TV but do not have any internal packaging (polystyrene etc)so felt it safer for the ‘professionals’ to do that. The same for the pictureframes (glass). We also have the fridge freezer, washing machine and tumbledryer that will need protecting. So, in essence, the removal company have verylittle to do with regards to actually ‘packing’ anything other than arrive andload up and ship to Brisbane. However, I was not sure if our own purchase ofboxes, packing materials and our own packing efforts will be reflected in theoverall cost of quoted service, which obviously includes time for packing andmaterials. I will see if I can use these as a bartering tool to reduce thequotes when the time comes.

I have done the usual research on PIOand other forums for the removal/shipping companies to use and have contacted 3of the recommended ones as well as a local ‘not so well known’ provider. Allvery polite, helpful, cheerful and have now sent me ‘provisional’ email quotesbased on what I have told them and within an hour of speaking to each. However,these quotes differ greatly and in some cases by as much as £1,000 for the same350 cubic feet but even the cheapest quote is far more than I had anticipatedhaving to pay based on some of the quotes posted on PIOrecently.

I suppose we will end up playing each company off againstone another on price to try and get the quote down closer to what we expected.At the end of the day to me it boils down to who can do it the cheapest as the service promised should be the same regardless of what you eventually pay. Iappreciate that you pay for what you get but removals/shipping isremovals/shipping and we have done most of it ourselves anyway.

I do have concerns about the 'local' providers comments/advise given. Very chatty, polite and seemingly knowledgeable chap who was keen toadvice on the negatives of shipping and the consequences of not doing this andnot doing that etc…….before asking who I was and where I lived etc. Advisedthat I should not have packed anything myself. In his words “doing so is a BIGMISTAKE! Advised that because we have packed the items ourselves then he willneed to open/empty every box to double check the contents against our list because customs willquestion him about what the contents are. This won’t be happening! Also stated that wewould not get any insurance cover (only theirs) as we have packed it ourselves. Utternonsense. (Have spoken with Ian at Letton Percival, mentioned on PIOrecently, and insurance is no problem and at 1.5% to Brisbane).Also stated that Australian customs would take a ‘very dim view’ on us packingit ourselves and will probably open up every single box also. This company hasprovisionally quoted £2,000 + their own insurance @ 4% of shipping value + AQIScharges for the 350 cubic feet. Thisseems a hefty price to pay for less than 1/3 of a shared container that costsaround £3,500. (A price confirmed by other shippers).

Your own experiences and any thoughts on what we should bepaying would be very much appreciated.

I wouldn't bet on it being the same service.

Have you asked for any of them to visit your house and give you their own estimate of cu ft?

I wouldn't bet on it being the same service.

Have you asked for any of them to visit your house and give you their own estimate of cu ft?

What I meant by 'same service' was that their own literature of the service, T&C's etc that they provide remains the same......regardless of the price they quote. Cant see the service changing just because they reduce the quote?

Yeah........have two of them coming this week but if I can fit everything I am sending into a 350 cubic feet room then my own estimate can only be less. As too can theirs.

We paid £1850 + insurance 2 years ago for about 300cu ft (it was something around that). if you are paying around the £5-6 per cu ft that is about right I reckon for part load.

Seems alot to me given that a 1100 cubic foot container is only £3500.

Seems alot to me given that a 1100 cubic foot container is only £3500.

You will always pay more for less if you know what I mean. There is more than 1 persons belongings that need to be picked up and loaded into a container and then unloaded at the other end, I'm assuming that if you were 1 of 3 then a lot of costs would be trippled for that one container, ie, customs, quarantine etc. So a £3.5k single use container would only have 1 set of charges.

Same really if you go and buy 1 of something and then buy 10 of the same thing, the 10 will work out cheaper per unit than the single one.

Hi / G`day,

Your original post is a like for like to what I`m about to do. You have saved my fingers from the Keyboard in asking the same... Im about to request `in my house` quotes. Have you found anything further out?

Im just trying to get a like for like quote and all inclusive (barring ins which is cheaper elsewhere as you say)

Thanks - Danny

Also stated that wewould not get any insurance cover (only theirs) as we have packed it ourselves. Utternonsense.

Keep in mind, if I were a Insurance company, and someone packed their own boxes, I would be far less inclined to pay out on any insurance claim. The reason being, you have a broken TV, you pack it yourself, you get to Australia, and say when it was packed it was working fine. For honest people, this is something they would never do, but the insurance companies will likely treat everyone as dishonest.

We've been told the same thing, don't pack your own stuff, and if you do, you might want to look at those box type of thing. I forget what they are called, but they are talked about elsewhere on PIO.

Good luck. PS we are going through the same stuff. And we've all but decided on going with John Mason.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Alice2
JM are usually pretty good, they might have lost your questions somewhere. Give them a call on 0800 169 3425. I've just chosen JM as the guys to ship our stuff to Australia with.

We are going with JM too. They have been really good at at responding. Although they did not chase up after they quoted, they usually responded within 5 minutes of me emailing them.

We are going with JM too. They have been really good at at responding. Although they did not chase up after they quoted, they usually responded within 5 minutes of me emailing them.

When are you shipping Alice? there is a fair chance our stuff will be grouped with yours.

Guest Cassjam

My wife called them today - was told that would be week after next before someone could come out. As we had said that this week would be fine when we first contacted them (in response to their available slot), it has been pushed out by another fortnight!

On the verge of just going with PSS

PS: Hamish, not sure if you saw our response in the other thread but Cassie and I were with you guys on the Egypt tour a few years back.

My wife called them today - was told that would be week after next before someone could come out. As we had said that this week would be fine when we first contacted them (in response to their available slot), it has been pushed out by another fortnight!

On the verge of just going with PSS

PS: Hamish, not sure if you saw our response in the other thread but Cassie and I were with you guys on the Egypt tour a few years back.

Hey James, I didn't see it, but I remember you guys. How many cars and cameras are you shipping back?

Guest Cassjam

It has happened quite suddenly so debating whether we can/should bring our car back. Camera wise, the 20D still going so did not get around to replacing it yet

And our final quote looks to be about £2550 for 571 cubic feet worth of stuff.

Hi, hope you don't mind me asking but what can you fit in a 571 cu foot container.

we are looking at taking some furniture etc but not Sure on container size required

Thanks

Ian

Guest Alice2
When are you shipping Alice? there is a fair chance our stuff will be grouped with yours.

We're shipping end of September. You?

Guest Alice2
We're shipping 2nd of October. How many cubic feet do you have? We've got 605 or there abouts. From memory a container has about 1300 cubic feet in it.

We have a 20ft container. We have so much stuff still to sell/give away. Clock ticking........ :(

Archived