No idea where to start-Moving Dogs!!

GayleDiack

Hi there,

My family and i are considering a move to Oz and are just starting to seriously look into the particulars. A big part of it would be being able to take our pets, we have a small female springer and a border collie pup, can anyone advise re the process and cost, also timeframe etc, i know i should be able to find all this out on various threads here but there are so many it's making my eyes water!!

Any help would be much appreciated, the whole thing seems a minefield!

Gayle.

First thing is to sort rabies vaccination & test as it needs 6 months lead in, then export port permit & booking transport/quarantine. Find a good 'approved' vet and go talk to them :D The Aqis website is quite good at setting it out step by step. We've not booked our two collie x babies on flights yet, but quotes have been about £3k each. It goes by size, and my two are med-large so will prob be less for you. There is a great thread called 'Ask Bob' in the pets section that might be a good place for you to start :) I'll let you know how we go with the next step!

Hi there,

My family and i are considering a move to Oz and are just starting to seriously look into the particulars. A big part of it would be being able to take our pets, we have a small female springer and a border collie pup, can anyone advise re the process and cost, also timeframe etc, i know i should be able to find all this out on various threads here but there are so many it's making my eyes water!!

Any help would be much appreciated, the whole thing seems a minefield!

Gayle.

we are using pet air and we fly in 3 weeks

our experience is rabies jabs first, blood test 3 weeks after to check it has taken, if it has 180 days before can enter aus, 30 days of which (minimum) must be in aus quarantine. If it has not taken repeat above, some vets will give 2 rabies jabs 2 weeks apart to improve chances of positive result, we only did 1 and it was fine. If your dog needs yearly boosters before you go do not give leptospirosis as they do not have this in aus and it will show in the blood test 30 days before flight as a positive result which will mean re tests etc

speak to a pet shipping company for advice, cost depends on size of dog, 1 small jack russell to Perth about £1700 plus about $800 to Quarantine in Perth for 30 days

I have been in contact with Bob at PetAir today. If you give him the details of your dogs, he will send you a quote which details everything that he and you need to do efore departure. They offer two levels of service, silver or gold.

My two have always been vaccinated against rabies as they have always lived in Spain, so to begin with they will just need the rabies blood test to check their levels. This is organised for Weds this week.

Good Luck.

Archived