Skills assessment

Guest gibbon83

Guest gibbon83

Could you tell me the general process please? How detailed do your references have to be, along with the interview, etc?

I have about 2 years bricklaying experience but have worked in the building industry for approx 10 yrs. During this time I have mainly been self employed but have photo evidence of much of my work and could get references from clients.

Put it this way it seriously took me about 3 months to get everything together. I used an agent to help me, so not sure if it was over the top, but got through it to Level 1, with no queries. Off the top of my head, detailed everything from my training at college and work (I did an apprenticeship and and City & Guilds to Advanced Craft), who I'd worked for with references, covering all dates. Got references from clients (from running my own business) and suppliers, also got a letter from the tax office to say during my self employment as a bricklayer I had fulfilled my duties towards taxation, van signage etc. Basically its anything that you can provide them with that will prove without any doubt that this is the job you have been doing for x amount of years, leaving no stone unturned and no gaps in dates etc.

Hope this helps, it was a very daunting and tedious task, good luck with it.

Just thinking, but have you had advice from an agent - its worth it as bricklayer is now off the main list and on the CSOL, before you spend a load of money, just check out that you know what the goal posts are - its not an easy journey and its worth taking any advice you can get. Good luck. We've been on it now for nearly 2 years and still don't know if we are every going to get the visa ......