457 visa insurance

Hi all,

So I'm told I have to get private health insurance to comply with my 457 visa requirements, It then says when I'm in Australia I may sign up with Medicare, so does anybody know initially for my visa how long my policy has to be? Most quotes I am getting all are for 12 months.

Thanks

David

just got a budget visitor insurance from IMAN and you just have to pay for a month upfront and will commence when you arrive in OZ. ours is family and paid $173. got the policy after 2 days. hope this helps. when you arrive in Oz, you can cancel anytime.

Not the UK coming from Dublin, but I've looked and Ireland has the same reciprocal health care with Australia as the UK, unless there is something I'm missing. The only problem I see is I'm not sure when off date will be because don't have visa yet, what did you do?, get 21 day insurance from a predicted date when you thought you would be leaving.

The first part of our visa is done company got number and applied on line so hope to have visa in a few weeks so lets say I say Octotber 1st is off date would it be acceptable to be just covered from october 1st to october 21st

Thanks David

This has been confusing me no end as well - Medicare is sufficient for the 457 visa but only if you are enrolled with Medicare and have a Medicare card, correct? But the RHCA that Ireland has with Australia does not entitle Irish citizens to enrol in Medicare nor do we get a Medicare card. We seem to have a similar level of cover as someone who is though but we just present our passport. I really wish someone could clear this up! I emailed Medicare asking for clarification - no reply yet. If I hear anything back I'll post it here.

Archived