Flying with Emirates with 3 year old, Baggage allowance

jag

So do you think there is any chance of me getting ours increased having alread booked the tickets? Have rung Emirates and didn't find them very helpful with the situation.....

I doubt it. Emirates are not known for being generous on baggage increase. They already give cattle class 30kg which is 7-10kg more than other airlines. The migrant fares are booked through a special company and Emirates have a deal with them to offer excess baggage etc. They are limited in number.

The only airline that seems to be generous and increases by 5 or sometimes 10kg is Singapore Airlines. They have a 20kg allowance as standard.

Qantas and BA both offer a 23kg bag for a set fee these days when flying with them (Check terms and conditions etc on their websites).

Night flight if you can get it I always reckon. Take PJ's and a baby sleeping bag or their blanket and get LO changed before you board so it signals sleep time. Our son was asleep pretty in his PJ's and sleeping bag and slept for 8.5 hours solid. We made sure we kept him going till then, tbh the buzz of the airport kept him going. He was whacked when he finally got to get ready for bed as we waited to board.

We also took mini packs of cereal like cornflakes so that when he woke and wanted breakfast all we had to do was add milk and he could eat and we didn't need to wait the extra hour or two till the airline served breakfast. We took our own bowl and spoon for this also. Just asked for milk.

Also we asked for an older kids menu, not the under 2 menu. Our son would never have eaten the under 2's food as he's always eaten what we eat. So we figured him having the proper kids menu was better. He scoffed a cooked breakfast and also a main meal. He'd eaten at the airport about 8pm, before we boarded so didn't really want the main meal soon after take off. This was fine and he didn't mind in the least. Eating at 11pm his time was way too late. But he defo wanting breakfast when he woke and having cereal was great. Took weetabix and cheerios also and he nibbled on the cheerios as a dry snack.

And just be prepared to do lots of walking up and down the plane with them. Both hubby and I walked miles in the plane between Singapore and Aus lol. Son slept for 4 hours of a 7.5 hour flight and was awake the last part and would not sit still. Just go with the flow and don't worry about what others are thinking.

Ah that's great advice, thank you!!

we've just travelled manchester to poerth with three kids. We got a full allowance for our 4 year old, and 10kgs each for our 11m twins. also each kid was allowed a piece of hand baggage. The 4 year old had a full allowance and the twinnies got 5kg each. The pram wasn't even weighed and its a twin one. Hope this helps xx

Archived