Need advice on second hand cars

webmister

Hi all, I am looking to buy a second hand car probably a Toyota or Ford from 90s but I don't know how it works in Australia. I only know that I need to check the Registration which shouldn't be expiring soon. Is there anything else that I need to check? Are there any transfer of ownership charges?

Additionally, can someone here familiar with cars tell me which one will be more reliable and fuel efficient as an old second hand car: Ford Laser,Toyota Camry or Mitsubishi Magna? these are the most common ones available in second hand market.

Thanks.

Transfer of Ownership charges (stamp duty) varies from state to state, so it depends where you are/where you are going. In NSW it is levied at 3% of the car's value up to $45K and 5% for anything over that. Which is pretty high if you ask me. I suspect NSW's charges are some of the highest, that's usually the case (justified by state government on the basis of being the most populous state, usually with a whinge chucked in about not getting their fair share of GST)

:rolleyes:

If you want reliability go for Toyota every time. I bought a new Corolla in 1991 and it's still going strong 21 years later. It looks really bad (old-fashioned now and a bit of sun-damage on the roof) but has never broken down and just refuses to die.

Out of the 3 car models I'd definitely go for the Toyota Camry. Toyotas have a reputation for being very reliable, parts are easy to get and not expensive (by Australian standards).

Last year my daughter bought a 2000 Camry in very good condition for $3000 and is very happy with it.

If you don't have mechanical knowledge it would be worth getting a prospective car checked out by the local automobile association. There will be a charge but it could save you a lot of money in the long run.

I used to work for a dealership selling toyotas and results. 95% of the cars that were coming back in to the service dept with problems were renaults (French junk) so basically my point is toyotas are very reliable, nissans are just as trusting but not sure the market on them in oz. hoping to pick myself up either make when I arrive in November :biggrin:

Archived