Need to talk footie!!

hey all, i'm a 40 something bloke, been here a yr, who's managed to get in a situation where all his friends are his wife's friends husbands from school!! so we have a nice time, few drinks etc - BUT WE DON'T TALK FOOTBALL!!

I need to discuss arsenal's chances for the season, how much i despise chelski and city, how grudgingly i actually admire manure etc...

so if anyone wants to discuss the new season over a pint (schooner!!), let me know. I'm in cherrybrook but can meet up anywhere!!

Ash

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest The Ropey HOFF
heh, thats what they said last yr AFTER the season had started - and look where we ended up, like we do every season, in the top 4..

You have got Podolski and Giroud is it that how you spell it, thats two good signings, your problem is Van Persie, he wants to go, but ..... this is where it goes wrong for Arsenal, Wenger will refuse to sell him, man city will offer say £25 million for him and he will say , no, no, no, no .... no and then right at the last minute he will sell him and that will mean you can't get a replacement and your season will be over before it begins. You have some top players, but they need at least three £30 million pounds players, to compete at the top and in europe, you have it in the bank, the board need to tell Wenger, who i like, to ..... get spending, he can't rebuild forever.

hmm, dont think its going to happen like that this yr - AW wanted to keep him, but having bought 2 strikers i think they've pre-empted this anyway. remember they were probably aware that RVP was going as he must have told them so at their now infamous meeting prior to the euros, hence they went out and bought giroud..

i do agree they will short again this yr now that he's leaving, but hey you just can't compete with the stupid money on offer. what can u do, even manure struggled last yr, and this yr chelski have gone out and spent a fortune. all arsenal fans should be gobsmacked we can still achieve the positions that we do on the budget we have - and i don't believe the hyperbole that we have a ton of cash, we wont be in that position for a few yes yet i reckon, and it still wont allow us to compete with moneybags. but just the fact that people think we're only 2/3 players short shows what a good job he's done - even in the current squad we still have bargains - sagna 6m, koscielny 6m, RVP 2m, Song 2m, sczeszny nearly free, wilshere free, gibbs free - doesnt include all the real bargains we've had/sold - anelka, overmars, vieira, henry, pires, campbell, toure, fabregas, adebayor etc..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
hmm, dont think its going to happen like that this yr - AW wanted to keep him, but having bought 2 strikers i think they've pre-empted this anyway. remember they were probably aware that RVP was going as he must have told them so at their now infamous meeting prior to the euros, hence they went out and bought giroud..

i do agree they will short again this yr now that he's leaving, but hey you just can't compete with the stupid money on offer. what can u do, even manure struggled last yr, and this yr chelski have gone out and spent a fortune. all arsenal fans should be gobsmacked we can still achieve the positions that we do on the budget we have - and i don't believe the hyperbole that we have a ton of cash, we wont be in that position for a few yes yet i reckon, and it still wont allow us to compete with moneybags. but just the fact that people think we're only 2/3 players short shows what a good job he's done - even in the current squad we still have bargains - sagna 6m, koscielny 6m, RVP 2m, Song 2m, sczeszny nearly free, wilshere free, gibbs free - doesnt include all the real bargains we've had/sold - anelka, overmars, vieira, henry, pires, campbell, toure, fabregas, adebayor etc..

Wheres your money gone, from the sales of Flabbergast, Clichy, Toure, Abedayor, Nasri, Bendtner, ? i know they have spent some, but there must be loads left over, No? Yes?

Guest The Ropey HOFF

By the way, being a Arsenal fan i can't believe you don't think you should be competing for the league and Champions league, it sounds as though you have completely given up of ever winning either.

By the way, being a Arsenal fan i can't believe you don't think you should be competing for the league and Champions league, it sounds as though you have completely given up of ever winning either.

not given up, just being realistic - only 1 team can win each of these trophies - and oh look, the 2 biggest prizes were won by the 2 richest clubs with the 2 richest owners...nuff said.

Wheres your money gone, from the sales of Flabbergast, Clichy, Toure, Abedayor, Nasri, Bendtner, ? i know they have spent some, but there must be loads left over, No? Yes?

and hence my point, only AW could do what he's done with money AVAILABLE - i still remember an article in a french newspaper a couple of yrs ago where he said that he needed to make 20m every year on transfers for the club to break even..i'm sure that was maybe slightly more than 2yrs ago, but i don't think its a coincidence that he was (relatively) happy to see off vieira, henry, toure, adebayor etc. the only time he's ever been pi**ed was when fab and nasri left, and you felt that was the 1st time it was out of his control..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
not given up, just being realistic - only 1 team can win each of these trophies - and oh look, the 2 biggest prizes were won by the 2 richest clubs with the 2 richest owners...nuff said.

Chelsea won the CL by a miracle, they aren't even in the best ten teams in europe to me, but they just defended to save there lifes, Man city won the premiership, How? i will never know, a very average Man utd threw it away uncharacteristically. I agree money played a big factor in it, but they were two of the luckiest wins in the history of football.

Hi, I expect my husband will track you down when we emigrate in November. He will be leaving behind his beloved......Spurs! So you can have a few arguments over that one :) (my side of the family are gunners though!)

i look forward to it!! let us know when you're down then - and good luck with the move!!

Guest guest66832

I too am an Arsenal fan and I believe that Arsenal need to buy some big name players of quality to even compete with the big spenders. Letting all of our best players go is a bad shame on the club, what does it say about our desire to win anything? I am thinking about planning footie nights in the city so that we can gather round and talk about how bad/good the season is going.

Chelsea won the CL by a miracle, they aren't even in the best ten teams in europe to me, but they just defended to save there lifes, Man city won the premiership, How? i will never know, a very average Man utd threw it away uncharacteristically. I agree money played a big factor in it, but they were two of the luckiest wins in the history of football.

luck plays a part in every triumph - arsenal invincibles, van nistelroy misses a pen in the last minute, kanoute goal ruled out even though it was etc...you make your own luck. and man city deserved to win that title and did. chelski spent money on all round good players to get them the title - remember a 25m player scored for them..

..and they've since gone out and spent a small fortune on some of the best young players in the world. and they're still buying. spent force they said last yr - not with romans cheque book out they're not!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
and hence my point, only AW could do what he's done with money AVAILABLE - i still remember an article in a french newspaper a couple of yrs ago where he said that he needed to make 20m every year on transfers for the club to break even..i'm sure that was maybe slightly more than 2yrs ago, but i don't think its a coincidence that he was (relatively) happy to see off vieira, henry, toure, adebayor etc. the only time he's ever been pi**ed was when fab and nasri left, and you felt that was the 1st time it was out of his control..

Well if this is true and it probably is, why are alot of Aresnal fans whinging about Wenger, it sounds like he is handicapped at the start if every year if he has to sell £20 million pounds of players to break even, just who do the fans think can do a better job? He is a genius for spotting young raw class talent, getting them cheap and selling them for huge profits. Last year the clamour from Aresnal fans to sack him was sickening, but knowing this now, i would say they would be committing suicide should he go, fans are so stupid .... most of the time.

I too am an Arsenal fan and I believe that Arsenal need to buy some big name players of quality to even compete with the big spenders. Letting all of our bad players go is a bad shame on the club, what does it say about our desire to win anything? I am thinking about planning footie nights in the city so that we can gather round and talk about how bad/good the season is going.

good idea mate!!

and i don't think they WANT to let them go, money talks my friend...

any hey don't despair, we lost our 2 best players last yr and 1st choice lb and finished a place higher!!

Guest The Ropey HOFF
luck plays a part in every triumph - arsenal invincibles, van nistelroy misses a pen in the last minute, kanoute goal ruled out even though it was etc...you make your own luck. and man city deserved to win that title and did. chelski spent money on all round good players to get them the title - remember a 25m player scored for them..

..and they've since gone out and spent a small fortune on some of the best young players in the world. and they're still buying. spent force they said last yr - not with romans cheque book out they're not!

Over the season Man city were the best side, but they didn't win it, Man utd lost it, i have never seen them do that before, it was nice to see a new team win something. Chelsea have spent a lot of money, but they are a poor technical side and i wanted them to win the CL, but it was embarassing how they defended all the time, i don't think they will ever win it again.

Guest guest66832
good idea mate!!

and i don't think they WANT to let them go, money talks my friend...

any hey don't despair, we lost our 2 best players last yr and 1st choice lb and finished a place higher!!

We finished so high because of van Persie, what are we going to do when he goes?

Well if this is true and it probably is, why are alot of Aresnal fans whinging about Wenger, it sounds like he is handicapped at the start if every year if he has to sell £20 million pounds of players to break even, just who do the fans think can do a better job? He is a genius for spotting young raw class talent, getting them cheap and selling them for huge profits. Last year the clamour from Aresnal fans to sack him was sickening, but knowing this now, i would say they would be committing suicide should he go, fans are so stupid .... most of the time.

ABSOLUTELY agree!! Arsenal fans who wanted him out should be ashamed of themselves and will only realise what they had when it's gone.

Guest guest66832

We should have stayed at Highbury and won some more trophies in a ground with an atmosphere, at least there we didn't have any debts for crappy stadium costs.

We should have stayed at the Emirates and won some more trophies in a ground with an atmosphere, at least there we didn't have any debts for crappy stadium costs.

You mean highbury! And another reason to love AW, he pushed for this to happen so that he long term future of Arsenal is assured, even though it would be harmful in the short term, pain that he would feel more than anyone.

Over the season Man city were the best side, but they didn't win it, Man utd lost it, i have never seen them do that before, it was nice to see a new team win something. Chelsea have spent a lot of money, but they are a poor technical side and i wanted them to win the CL, but it was embarassing how they defended all the time, i don't think they will ever win it again.

Crap teams can always win the cl - Porto were lucky all the best teams knocked themselves out, Liverpool were rubbish, Chelsea were rubbish. But it happens in a knockout tournament. And like I said Chelski have gone out and spent a fortune to get themselves back up to where they want to be..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Crap teams can always win the cl - Porto were lucky all the best teams knocked themselves out, Liverpool were rubbish, Chelsea were rubbish. But it happens in a knockout tournament. And like I said Chelski have gone out and spent a fortune to get themselves back up to where they want to be..

When Liverpool and Porto won the CL they played good football, they weren't the best teams like you say, but Chelsea just defended, it was like the Alamo, but what can you do against Barcelona?

Archived