Help with baby stuff - need to buy Oz equivalents in the UK

Guest spookylukey

Guest spookylukey

Wasn't sure what was the best section to put this in so apologies if this is the wrong area. Was hoping to get some advice from Mums/Dads who have experience of both UK and Australian baby supplies so thought an ex-pat forum would be the best place to ask.

My sister is coming back to the UK for a visit with my 5 month old nephew - she has asked me to get some baby supplies for him that are as close as possible to the Australian versions. The baby was born in Oz so she has never used any UK nappies/milk etc only the Australian ones.

She currently uses:

Huggies Boys Crawlers (he weighs 7.5KG)

Nestle NAN H.A. Gold '1' suitable from birth in Oz

Any ideas what the closest equivalents would be in the UK? I don't have kids myself so have no idea!

Thanks for any input :)

Welcome to PIO

Huggies nappies are sold in UK - he would likely need a size 3 - or size 4 but they might be abit big.

As for the milk - that brand in not sold in the UK, and there is not really an equivalent - depending on how long she is over for, it would be best for her to take enough formula with her.

Guest spookylukey

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

Good to know about the nappies, she's here for a month hence why she wanted us to try and get the supplies. I will let her know about the milk and see what she wants to do - I guess swapping milks isn't ideal in case he won't drink it or it doesn't agree with him.

Size 4 will be too big, best with size 3, the size 4 are still a bit big for our girl who is over 9kg. Can't help with the formula as she is still on medicated formula. If they are only coming for a short time suggest they bring enough to last them

Edited by wakeboard1980
spelling

I think Pampers are the more popular brand in the UK, rather than Huggies. Huggies in the UK are different to the Aus ones.

The NAN formula is made by Nestle, maybe give them a call in the UK and see if they offer a similar product there? Otherwise I would just pack enough tins to see me through, I'm sure your sister would be able to take it in a plastic shopping bag as carry on.

If your sister calls Nestle they should be able to advise her, my son is special formula from Cow and Gate (which is not stocked in Australia) so I had to research into the equivilent and he took to it fine. If it is only for a month and she has space in her lugagge I would reccomend bringing her own.

The Huggies will have an equivalent in the UK. We used Pampers here in the UK but when we went to Aus they didn't have them. So used Huggies and although they have a different name they were the same nappy as found in the UK. A purple pack I recall us buying, Active Baby or some such in UK. Personally I don't think its such a big deal if a country doesn't have the same brand. There are plenty of good alternatives in the UK and she certainly won't be stuck for choice. Pampers are a really good brand also here in the UK. Even Tesco own brand nappies fare very well with Mums.

Nestle don't sell baby milk in the UK.

Cow & Gate, Hipp organic, Aptimil, SMA are the main ones. If she is really worried she should bring her own to use.

Guest spookylukey

Thanks so much for all the replies, looks like the nappies are easily interchangeable and she should bring her own milk then. She's a bit anxious about everything as she will be making the flight over here (with a 5 month old) on her own as her partner won't be coming over for another two weeks - hence why I'm trying to sort everything out at this end for her so she doesn't need to worry about stuff!

It is so easy travelling with a baby that age. tell her to try and book a bassinet seat, then the wee one can be in it most of the way. much easier for her to have her meals as well. has she got a baby carrier, great for when your in airport and for stops, leaves hands free.

Guest spookylukey

Thanks AJ, yep she has a baby carrier - is it too late to try and book a bassinet seat (flight is end of July)? Or would that kind of thing have to be requested at the time of booking? I think she's going with Korean Air if it makes a difference.

Guest spookylukey

Thanks, I will mention it to her - she may have already requested one but equally she may not even know they exist as this is her first baby.

Any tips for sterilising bottles? She has ordered a 'drop in' disposable liner system but it's doubtful if they will arrive in time as they are coming from Amazon in the US so would be good to be able to pass some tips on to her.

I travelled several long haul flights with my baby from 6 months to 18 months - the younger she was the better, heres what i did

I took a holdall instead of my usual baby bag, not the big huge ones but normal carry on luggage size, as well as my hand luggage, your allowed if your travelling with an infant.

Took a tin of baby formula in it. I had 6 or 8 (cant remember) bottles already sterilised and filled with sterilised water ready to make feeds. Only once was I asked to open 2 of them and take a tiny sip.

I had a packet of baby rice, bowl and a spoon so easy to make up in your seat, also if you have a bassinet seat you can prop wee one up with pillows for a feed.

Take nice soft baby blanket with you cos the ones on the plane are crap - also handy for laying baby on to change nappy in toilet cos its just a wooden board that folds down.

Honestly she will be fine with a little one that size, the only hard bit is getting your luggage of the carousel but someone will always help!

I never had any problems taking bottles filled with sterilized water on the plane either, usually they just have a quick look before you put them through the scanner. I always pre-measured out formula at home into a formula dispenser, so I didn't have to worry about scooping from the tin on the flight. Made it heaps easier to prepare bottles.

http://www.bigw.com.au/baby/feeding/bottle-feeding/bpnBIGW_0000000067931/nuby-formula-dispenser?utm_source=GoogleProductFeed&utm_medium=cpc&origin=%7Badtype%7D&id=%7Badwords_producttargetid%7D

Thanks AJ, yep she has a baby carrier - is it too late to try and book a bassinet seat (flight is end of July)? Or would that kind of thing have to be requested at the time of booking? I think she's going with Korean Air if it makes a difference.

Have her phone the airline. Usually they advance book if you ask but on the day they go with youngest first having the bassinettes. So if there are a few babies under 6 months and a few of a year, the youngest will get the sky cots ahead of the bigger ones.