Gym Recommendation Central Sydney

daveg1980

Hey Poms,

I was wondering could you guys recommend me a good modern gym in Sydney, in the city centre?

I am a member of the Virgin gym in the UK. I am not sure where I will be living long term, but will be in Ultimo initially, and could be working in various parts of Sydney. If the gym has a jacuzzi that would be a bonus!

Any recommendations would be great?

Cheers,

Dave

My son has just joined the gym at the Ian Thorpe Aquatic Centre and is very impressed with it.

Has the advantage of a fantastic swimming pool being on the premises, too.

Plus it's in Ultimo.

http://www.ymcasydney.org/centre/itac/activity/health-and-fitness

I was going to recommend that - it's excellent. Big indoor aquatic centre is worth having too, most swimming pools here are outdoors which is great in summer, less so at the moment (unless you're braver than me)

There are loads of gyms though, it's worth shopping around as the pricing varies a lot (and isn't necessarily reflective of the facilities). My gym in Chatswood is really well stocked and stupidly cheap at $6 a week, but it's a bit far out for you. There will be lots of local options

I go to fitness first but I don't really like it and it's a bit expensive. At least there's lots of branches all over Sydney with about 5 in the city centre, so it's easy to find your class on somewhere if you've got 'passport' membership. This is the only reason I joined - so I could go to various branches on the way home from the various places I work. It's really hard to leave though, they try and get you to do a kind of exit interview even if you're entitled to cancel your membership when you've been paying for however many months is the minimum.

Yes, Fitness First are notorious for pressure selling and trying to eke out every last dollar even when you try to quit (watch your Direct Debits like a hawk). They also have "joining specials" that usually, once you work them out, offer very little. I'm often reminded of Globogym from "Dodgeball" when I go there.

However - they have branches everywhere that I can use with Passport, decent equipment, and now I've been there a year my wife join me for free at weekends, so I've stayed with them.

Guest storminnorman

I am with Fitness First. They are a bit expensive and are notorious for pressure selling but I like the fact that they have gyms all over Sydney and I can visit any one.

I live in Ultimo and visit the Market street gym which is right next to Darling Harbour so only a 10 minute walk home.

Archived