Violin query

maslyn

We bought a couple of small ones from music stores. When my daughter got older we bought from a violin maker, not cheap. The last one we bought was from a violin maker in Glen Waverley. Music teachers should be able to help with getting a violin.

where are you? I have two sitting here that I put on gumtree and had no takers. If you are in WA let me know. You need to know what size to get - child is probably half size or 3/4. Japanese made ones hold their value more than korean if you are buying new.

We bought a couple of small ones from music stores. When my daughter got older we bought from a violin maker, not cheap. The last one we bought was from a violin maker in Glen Waverley. Music teachers should be able to help with getting a violin.

How much did you buy the small ones for? The music teachers recommendations are costing between 300-500 dollars

I'd say that was about right - my second hand ones are going for $300. My son did violin lessons through the school and they hired out a violin for the first 6 months which gave him time to decide if it was for him. warning - listening to kids learn violin is excruciating, like a dying cat - but nice when they get better!

I'd recommend a fairly cheap second hand one to start. You get more for your money than buying new. Teachers often know of students who are selling them, or gum tree. It will hold it's value fairly well, so you can sell it if your child loses interest, or sell and replace with a better one in a year or two if they are still playing. Ask the teacher or a music shop which size. Don't just go on height - ask the child to hold one as arm length counts.

How much did you buy the small ones for? The music teachers recommendations are costing between 300-500 dollars

Yes we paid about that amount, of course once you start using violin makers its in the thousands.

My daughter has two now and we have a three quarter of hers which is a good one, if she has children she will use it then.

There are young orchestras around and its good to start playing with an orchestra as soon as possible.

Our music society also had recitals and they young ones got used to solo performance.

Happy $$$$$$$$$$$

My daughter went right through, piano, violin, theory lessons, she still plays a bit and she could have been good. I pulled the plug when she was 17 and she discovered life after music lol

What size of violin are you looking for? We have just bought my daughter a 3/4 one so her 1/2 size is up for sale. We are in Redcliffe, north of Brisbane.

Elena

Hi am looking for 1/16 so a pretty small one.

Archived