Ielts help

jamie

Hi all, just after some help as I will be sitting the general ielts test in 3 weeks and wondered what sort of topics you were given in the witting sections and what kind of topics you were asked to talk about in the speaking.

I have done lots of practice and going OK so any other advice or tips would be fantastic .

hey! I just did the IELTS General Training 3 days ago:

the writing was easy - 2 essays:

150 words: draft a letter to a newspaper editor showing your disagreement with an article criticizing a TV program that you actually enjoy (not this wording exactly but you get the gist);

200 words: give my opinion on the use of mobile phones by children (apparently a big social issue in my home country...instead of worrying about the financial crisis, Portuguese prefer to worry about children using mobile phones...oh well...)

Speaking: 14 mins talking about my home city (Lisbon), what do I enjoy about it, differences about rural areas and urban areas, lifestyles, accessible activities, etc... yadda yadda yadda... 14 mins talking non-stop, in front of a very nice elderly English lady! I loved her poshy Brit accent! :D

Hope this helps!

My husband did his last Saturday, same as pvivarmo except speaking cue card was to talk about presents and when he had given one and what it meant to the person he gave it to. He got a bit stuck trying to think of something as he doesn't really do presents so he made something up (it did make her laugh though) Results go out on the 13th he got 9 in speaking last time but somehow don't think he will do as well this time. Good luck I'm sure that you will be fine and make sure you plan your time in the writing the reason my husband had to do do it again was because of 6.5 mark on his writing he spent too long doing the letter and didn't have enough time for 250 words on the essay and would have got marked down for it, his overall score was 8.5 but had to do it again as needs 7 on all four sections. Bummer!

Hi

For the writing task 1 my OH had to write a letter to a friend telling him about a business idea he had and had to try to persuade him/her to do it with him.

Writing task 2 was to give his opinion on whether less time should be spent in school on physical education and more on academic subjects.

In his speaking test he had to talk about something which he'd got excited about (!!!) and then had to discuss extreme sports

Good luck! If you've practiced lots then I'm pretty sure you will be fine!

Hi all, just after some help as I will be sitting the general ielts test in 3 weeks and wondered what sort of topics you were given in the witting sections and what kind of topics you were asked to talk about in the speaking.

I have done lots of practice and going OK so any other advice or tips would be fantastic .

Hi,

I did my IELTS at the end of May and the speaking was about my home town, about migration, jobs, my dreams/aspirations, giving gifts - all very straightforward.

In the writing, task 1 was to write to a friend to advise when I was staying at their home a kitchen applicance broke! Second task was to discuss public transport and role of government. Again fairly straightforward.

Go over the listening and reading as it gives you an idea of type of questions, time etc.

Good Luck!

End of March I had to write a letter complaining about the facilities at a college where I had done an evening class (great as I am a teacher in a college...) and arguing about whether the meaning had gone out of celebrations such as christening and weddings with big fancy parties etc (great as the next weekend I was off to a big fancy christening) Spoke about old people- (got a chuckle from the examiner when I ranted about standard of driving/the fact they go shopping on Saturdays when the have had all week to go) my opinions on mobile phones (another rant) and other assorted nonsense-"Why was I doing IELTS" was my final question!

I bought an IELTS book rreally for the listening CD. Best money I spent as once you have done 4 mocks, the real thing was very predictable-eg the funny sounding place name they spell out, or the misheard phone number etc

All the best, and good luck!

Thanks guys this is great,gives me a few more topics to practice on,must admit thought the writing was going to be the hardest part for me ,but i seem to find the reading the most trying.

Archived