Staffordshire Bull Terrier

JillT

I was wondering if anyone has taken their staffie to Oz with them and if so, have they had any

negative experiences regarding the breed.

We have a 5 year old who is the baby of our family (our other babies have left home!). My

OH dotes on her but I am concerned that it is a big risk taking her to Oz because of the breed.

We have owned many dogs over the years and despite her breed, she is the most gentle and

obedient dog we have ever come across. It would be such a shame to put her into a situation

where she is considered a 'danger' and all the consequences that might ensue as a result.

Would really appreciate any thoughts?!

Guest AKA63029
I was wondering if anyone has taken their staffie to Oz with them and if so, have they had any

negative experiences regarding the breed.

We have a 5 year old who is the baby of our family (our other babies have left home!). My

OH dotes on her but I am concerned that it is a big risk taking her to Oz because of the breed.

We have owned many dogs over the years and despite her breed, she is the most gentle and

obedient dog we have ever come across. It would be such a shame to put her into a situation

where she is considered a 'danger' and all the consequences that might ensue as a result.

Would really appreciate any thoughts?!

Can't see too many probs Jill.

There are numerous 'kinds' of dogs in OZ, and no problem.

Just make sure as I'm sure you will keep mutley leased when needs be and all should be fine.

It's always the irresponsible owners that give others a bad name matey, you'll be fine.

Cheers Tony.

Hey Jill, we've been wondering the same thing. IF we ever come over then we'll be bringing our staffy Lucy while she's still young and hopefully healthy enough, our other elderly one wouldnt be up for the journey so will be retiring at his grans!

I dont think you'll have too many problems, im sure there are plenty of them over there and most people realise when theyre friendly and gentle. I know you do get some people who are scared straight away but just introduce her to your neighbours etc and like Tony says - keep her on a lead places where your meant to. Theres beaches and dog parks where you can let her off.

You should be fine to bring her :wubclub: If you look at the bottom of the page theres a few posts on here about staffies

Plenty of Staffies in Aus :) I'm sure you'll be fine. You sound like a responsible dog owner, so gen up on local dog bylaws, register your dog for a licence and so on, dog parks and all that and you should be fine.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

My concern is mostly that she could be mistaken for a pitbull. She is

definitely cross something but the vet says she is a staffie. However,

I believe the criteria to assess a dog as a pitbull in Oz is rather subjective

and I have been on to a number of organisations aswell as the Town

council where we intend to live but have been unable to find any guidelines.

If anyone has any suggestions about who to speak to etc. they will be

most appreciated!

most appreciated!

Dont quote me on this but i dont think pitbulls areillegal in oz, i'll check in a minute. I dont know what its like in OZ but from what i've heard the criteria is really silly here, if your dog is mixed with something like for example a boxer and a staffy.. so if it has longer legs or a bigger head then they can potentially say its a pitbull. But if you've took her to the vet and they said she isnt crossed with one then I wouldnt worry about it too much. you sound a very responsible owner. It should be about the nature of the dog.. not the breed.

Don't worry plenty of Staffies here and don't worry. Just don't put pit bull anywhere on the papers you shouldn't have to anyway just put staffy cross.

Our fur baby loves OZ and has made a few staffy friends.

Guest The Pom Queen

most appreciated!

Do you want to send me a photo to admin@pomsinoz.com and also tell me what state or suburb you are heading to

Guest The Pom Queen
Dont quote me on this but i dont think pitbulls areillegal in oz, i'll check in a minute. I dont know what its like in OZ but from what i've heard the criteria is really silly here, if your dog is mixed with something like for example a boxer and a staffy.. so if it has longer legs or a bigger head then they can potentially say its a pitbull. But if you've took her to the vet and they said she isnt crossed with one then I wouldnt worry about it too much. you sound a very responsible owner. It should be about the nature of the dog.. not the breed.

We once advised an owner that their dog was not a pitbull but the council over ruled us. Although now I believe they take the word of a vet (in Victoria this is) This link gives you what they look for http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/standard-for-restricted-breed-dogs

Guest The Pom Queen

In regards to Staffies they are a very popular breed over here and have a reputation of being softies so you will have no problems.

In regards to Staffies they are a very popular breed over here and have a reputation of being softies so you will have no problems.

They're the best dogs I've ever had. I'll be honest and say i wasnt too sure about them untill I met Dave, now i love them! I hate the reputation they get because of bad owners. We still get people crossing the street away from them, picking up children etc but luckily where daves staying now everybody loves them cos theyre used to them plus a lot of them know Eric when from when he was a pup lol.

Glad that they're popular over there because we'll be bringing Lucifer with us if we ever move, poor Australia! :cute:

We once advised an owner that their dog was not a pitbull but the council over ruled us. Although now I believe they take the word of a vet (in Victoria this is) This link gives you what they look for http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/about-pets/legislation-and-regulation/standard-for-restricted-breed-dogs

Thank you so much for that link. That is what I have been looking for. I will also send you a pic asap. She is

rather camera-shy so we don't have very good one's of her. Will try to get some decent one's later today and

email them to you.

Hi Jill,

I lived in Oz for 7 years and actually got my staffy while I was there, he has since come back and lived in the UK with me and now we will be returning next year. Staffies certainly don't seem to have the negative associations over there that they have here, and they are not given the same bad press. I think it boils down to the fact that they don't have the same type of 'people' over there who are the type that tend to own them here, if you know what I mean.

Awesome dogs aren't they? Excellent too that they have nice short coats for sunshine living!! (Just be sure to use sunscreen if she's got pinky bits - and the mozzies used to bite mine too!)

Good luck!

• 3 months later...

Hi Jill

Was just wondering if you managed to take your Staffy with you over to Oz?? I'm in Dublin, I have a two and a half year old Staffy girl, we're moving to Melbourne at the end of the year with our two kids, couldn't bear to leave her behind, so we're hoping to take her, she's my five year old boys best friend in the world!!

Which shipping company did you use if you have managed to send her? I've had some some difficulty with shipping companies in Ireland saying that certain airlines won't take her as she's considered dangerous etc. etc, and making a big deal out of something that should be quite simple? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

A staffy shouldn't be considered dangerous to a airline, that's ridiculous of them. No wonder I get so angry!

Is there any way of bringing your staff over here and then transfering that way because petair who are advertised on here are fine with staffys, I was enquiring about ours a while ago.

There's also one at a expo I went to who seemed nice, I think they were called transfur. Hopefully some of our irish members will know more

A staffy shouldn't be considered dangerous to a airline, that's ridiculous of them. No wonder I get so angry!

Is there any way of bringing your staff over here and then transfering that way because petair who are advertised on here are fine with staffys, I was enquiring about ours a while ago.

There's also one at a expo I went to who seemed nice, I think they were called transfur. Hopefully some of our irish members will know more

Hi, yeah I know it really got my back up, basically the woman giving the quote just saw the breed, and came back with well it'll be difficult because she's a dangerous breed ... I'm from the UK and we brought Stella over from the UK when we moved here two years ago, she was only a puppy at the time, they are not banned in ROI but they are considered a restricted breed, so basically the company multi cargo based in Dublin initially told me that she couldn't fly with BMI to the UK as she is a dangerous breed not allowed into the UK!!!!!!, I spoke to BMI and they said they did fly Staffys no problem!! Then the company said that Qantas wouldn't take her and sent me a copy of a memo from Qantas that said they wouldn't take American Staffordshire Bull terriers, a completely different breed, I rang Qantas and they said they would take Staffs no problem, then they came up with flying her with Emirates, I had to sign a disclosure saying it was at my own risk as a special one off, and she had an 11 hour stop over in Dubai!! I wasn't too keen and neither was my vet so I decided not to use that company, vet thought it was too risky leaving her in Dubai for 11 hours if there were delays on the runway etc. the ground heat over there would be too much for her sitting in a box! I've contacted another company now who will take her through the UK with BMI and Qantas but was just wondering if anyone has any experience flying Staffys from Ireland to Oz who they used etc. I can't fly her from the UK as the AQIS rules say she's got to be resident in the country of export for 6 months prior to export. We are going at the end of December and I'm hoping to fly her out at the beginning of February just hoping I win the lottery in the meantime to pay for all the expense!!!!

Hi, yeah I know it really got my back up, basically the woman giving the quote just saw the breed, and came back with well it'll be difficult because she's a dangerous breed ... I'm from the UK and we brought Stella over from the UK when we moved here two years ago, she was only a puppy at the time, they are not banned in ROI but they are considered a restricted breed, so basically the company multi cargo based in Dublin initially told me that she couldn't fly with BMI to the UK as she is a dangerous breed not allowed into the UK!!!!!!, I spoke to BMI and they said they did fly Staffys no problem!! Then the company said that Qantas wouldn't take her and sent me a copy of a memo from Qantas that said they wouldn't take American Staffordshire Bull terriers, a completely different breed, I rang Qantas and they said they would take Staffs no problem, then they came up with flying her with Emirates, I had to sign a disclosure saying it was at my own risk as a special one off, and she had an 11 hour stop over in Dubai!! I wasn't too keen and neither was my vet so I decided not to use that company, vet thought it was too risky leaving her in Dubai for 11 hours if there were delays on the runway etc. the ground heat over there would be too much for her sitting in a box! I've contacted another company now who will take her through the UK with BMI and Qantas but was just wondering if anyone has any experience flying Staffys from Ireland to Oz who they used etc. I can't fly her from the UK as the AQIS rules say she's got to be resident in the country of export for 6 months prior to export. We are going at the end of December and I'm hoping to fly her out at the beginning of February just hoping I win the lottery in the meantime to pay for all the expense!!!!

I just wondered what the situation was in ireland because when you mentioned about them being considered "dangerous" it reminded me of the time years ago when we took Eric from scotland to Country Kerry and when we stopped in Dublin we got a few funny looks and then when we were home someone mentioned that they might not be allowed. I never thought to actually check.

No wonder your back was up, its ridiculous. I can understand them saying certain breeds are a risk (as in for health reasons) like short snouted etc.

At least BMI and qantas sound slightly better. Its a shame that you've had so much hassle, its the last thing you need since moving is stressful enough!

Yeah if you win the lottery give me a shout lol i need one of those money trees!

I'd give Bob & the crew at Pet Air a call to discuss. I'm sure they'll be able to give you good advice :)

Staffy's are lovely dogs, almost as fab as sooky-la-la labs :)

Thanks I'll try talking to them, we are going to Melbourne also did you manage to find a place to rent easy enough with your dog, how did they cope in quarantine??

In Ireland they are restricted and meant to be muzzled when out in public, never off a lead, it's stupid really when over here so many other people just let their dogs roam the streets doing what they want. Multi Cargo then told me that Staffy's were considered snub nosed and couldn't go with Qantas, in the end I just thought it would be easier to go elsewhere!!! Who are you using to transport yours??

Archived