Melbourne via Thailand?

WelshBen

Hi folks.

My girlfriends and I have had our 176 VISA granted and are busy planning the move. My contract at work expires at the end of November and we are keen to move straight after this.

We are concerned that moving in December will mean securing work in December will be near impossible (I work in IT, her Marketing)? We are thinking have a few weeks in Thailand over Xmas, living cheaply whilst the Job Market is poor then moving to Melbourne early Jaunuary.

Has anyone done anything similar that can offer any advice?

Thanks!!

Hi thanks for the reply.

I've never been to Thailand but been looking at backpacker type hotels in islnds such as Koh Samui, Koh Toa and Koh Pha Ngan and the is around £15 - £20 per night (it does go much lower but I'm assuming it won't be the best :biglaugh:)

Is there anything I am missing? I'm not looking for luxury, just potentially a little adventure before my big adventure in Oz.

I have visited Thailand twice for reunion with family from Sydney. Although it's not as cheap as it was, I think you can still stay there much more cheaply than in Australia, where I have found the accomodation to be very expensive. We ate out earlier this year for aprox £5 for a single main meal - although I did come back with food poisoning so you pay your money and you take your choice .....

I think your thai Christmas sounds a good idea, but have you thought about Vietnam?

Hey Ben,

I done the same thing, one month in Thailand visiting Koh Samui, Koh Phagnan and then scuba diving in Koh Tao is great. I then travelled around Cambodia (which is 1/2 expensive as Thailand) for three months. Cambodia is the best country in SEA in my opinion as it is far less developed and the people are not as pushy as in the tourist areas of Thailand. You will also get a room for $5-$10 a night but it will be far better quality in my opinion than what you pay in Thailand.Message me if you want an idea on an itinerary / advice on where to go!!!

In terms of your Australian move, I live in Sydney but expect it to be similar in that the Aussies take at least two weeks off over Christmas (my company three weeks!) and the market is pretty flat until late January.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice!

I think this has definitely got to be an option. It's either hang around the UK until the New Year, take a chance of finding work in Oz over the Xmas period or try SE Asia - decisions . . . . :confused:

JP33 - I might take you up on that itinerary.

Hi folks.

My girlfriends and I have had our 176 VISA granted and are busy planning the move. My contract at work expires at the end of November and we are keen to move straight after this.

We are concerned that moving in December will mean securing work in December will be near impossible (I work in IT, her Marketing)? We are thinking have a few weeks in Thailand over Xmas, living cheaply whilst the Job Market is poor then moving to Melbourne early Jaunuary.

Has anyone done anything similar that can offer any advice?

Thanks!!

Any idea where in Thailand?

We did it last Xmas..stayed a month. Xmas is peak price time (still far cheaper than Australian hotels) so you need to choose accommodation carefully and book early if you want a long stay.....a standard hotel room can be a bit pokey if you're staying a month.

I think prices for flights normally go up around Dec 9th to catch the Xmas holidaymakers....so if you try dates before then you might get a much cheaper flight deal.

If you stay out of places like Phuket and Samui....you'll get a far cheaper holiday. Chiang Mai is beautiful, cheap and hot...but no sea.

Archived