4 Dogs (Chihuahuas) to WA? Please help! Don't want to leave them behind :(

Guest tthorley1979

Guest tthorley1979

Hi,

Myself, Husband & 10m old baby have just got our visas granted but we've a massive hurdle we need to overcome. We have 4 Chihuahuas and Australia only allows people to keep 2 dogs and you have to apply to the council to keep anymore than 2! Also what's the likelihood of getting a rental with 4 dogs? Can't bear leaving them behind. We're hoping to move to Perth next May/June 2013.

We would appreciate any advice.

Thanks

Tracy

First and foremost, don't panic. The 2 dog rules does not apply everywhere. Each area will be different. Your dogs are small (dinky and lovely I think) so that is one thing in your favour re renting. They don't really do a lot of damage to gardens or floors and so on. Hopefully people who have rented with 2 dogs or more will be able to help re rentals etc. Perhaps extra bond offered or some such would help. I find kids tend to do more damage to our house than the dogs ever do :cute:

Check the AQIS site re pet shipping. Your rabies paperwork needs to be done about 5 months ahead of shipping for them to only spend the minimum time in quarantine in Aus.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom

Then I'd contact some reputable pet shipping companies for some quotes and advice. Your dogs are small and could possibly share 2 to a crate with a mesh divide and therefore maybe save a bit on shipping costs. If you take 4 dogs, even ones as small as chuhuahuas it is going to work out pretty expensive with all the vet bills etc. So ensure you have done your homework on it all and priced it out.

Good luck and congrats on the move :)

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly, the dogs are small and it's not like you are bringing 4 Great Danes. Like Snifter says check with the council you want to move in to for their regulations.

I think landlords would be fine, but do offer a pet bond and don't tie yourself to one area. Also see if you can get in touch with the landlords direct.

In regards to shipping have a word with Bob at Petair he is on the forum and is the only one I'd trust my babies with

Guest tthorley1979
First and foremost, don't panic. The 2 dog rules does not apply everywhere. Each area will be different. Your dogs are small (dinky and lovely I think) so that is one thing in your favour re renting. They don't really do a lot of damage to gardens or floors and so on. Hopefully people who have rented with 2 dogs or more will be able to help re rentals etc. Perhaps extra bond offered or some such would help. I find kids tend to do more damage to our house than the dogs ever do :cute:

Check the AQIS site re pet shipping. Your rabies paperwork needs to be done about 5 months ahead of shipping for them to only spend the minimum time in quarantine in Aus.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom

Then I'd contact some reputable pet shipping companies for some quotes and advice. Your dogs are small and could possibly share 2 to a crate with a mesh divide and therefore maybe save a bit on shipping costs. If you take 4 dogs, even ones as small as chuhuahuas it is going to work out pretty expensive with all the vet bills etc. So ensure you have done your homework on it all and priced it out.

Good luck and congrats on the move :)

Thank you for you're reply :) yes I must admit I am panicking a bit on this. Just really don't want to leave them, we bred them & their mum, dad & 2 pups which we delivered-1 of which we saved the life of. I'll look into other areas too. Thanks for you're advice, we've had a quote & it'll cost us 8K to take them all which were willing to pay x

X

Guest tthorley1979
Firstly, the dogs are small and it's not like you are bringing 4 Great Danes. Like Snifter says check with the council you want to move in to for their regulations.

I think landlords would be fine, but do offer a pet bond and don't tie yourself to one area. Also see if you can get in touch with the landlords direct.

In regards to shipping have a word with Bob at Petair he is on the forum and is the only one I'd trust my babies with

Thank you for the reply, yes I'll definatley be looking into possible other areas. It would help if I contacted landlords direct and fingers crossed I'll get them there somehow. Thanks for the tip re Petair :) x

Guest themanns

You'll be fine! We are sending ours with Pet Air who have been fantastic worth every penny as it looks simple but isn't really. As for rental don't worry either there are loads of dogs in rental accom. If you aren't sure on rehoming don't as you will regret it prob.

The animal number rule depends on the rules of the council. Even if you find a rental that will allow them you will have to register them to the address so you are wise to check out the rules anyway. Looks like you are set on Perth so why not have a look on their website and drop them an email? I know that within the same State the number of pets can vary from suburb to suburb! Areas that are slightly more rural and with a bit more land will likely allow more than 2 dogs. Of course yours are teeny tiny and it is a no brainer that they should be allowed but you don't need the extra hassle of this going on when you land. I am renting with three cats, my area allows them and they are registered and I have a rental that accepts them too. With some planning I am sure you can do it. Good luck x

Guest SophInOz

Hi Tracy. I live in Perth and we've just shipped our dog. We used Golden Arrow and they were fantastic, I'd recommend giving them a call. I haven't heard the 2 dog rule. I live in Victoria Park and we didn't have too much trouble finding a rental that would allow pets but we did have to pay an extra bond (drop in ocean after cost of shipping anyway!) Good luck, let me know if you have any questions about shipping.

Sophie

Also with the dog registering, check and see but I am sure I recall reading somewhere that each adult in the house could register 2 dogs. So if may be you and hubby could register 2 each? Not sure if this applies to the state you are moving to but I do recall reading about it being possible in SA.

Guest The Pom Queen
Also with the dog registering, check and see but I am sure I recall reading somewhere that each adult in the house could register 2 dogs. So if may be you and hubby could register 2 each? Not sure if this applies to the state you are moving to but I do recall reading about it being possible in SA.

I have never heard of it being per person, it is usually per household, but each council can adjust the guidelines for their area.

I have never heard of it being per person, it is usually per household, but each council can adjust the guidelines for their area.

That may well be it. I can't recall exactly, I'd have to go check PIA as I am sure something was said over there, but I am probably wrong :goofy:

I emailed Joondalup council a few weeks ago and got this reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding multiple dog ownership within the City of Joondalup.

Whilst we acknowledge the difficulty and potential expense of relocating your dogs to W.A. we are required by State Legislation to follow a set process in order to assess any application for the keeping of more than two dogs prior to providing an exemption (permit). (WA Dog Act 1976 and the City of Joondalup Animal Local 1999)

In order to assess an application to keep more than two dogs you would need to be living in a residence so that the following criteria can be assessed:

· Property inspection is carried out by a Ranger to assess the size and suitability of the premises

· All adjoining neighbours are advised that the applicant wishes to keep more than two dogs at the residence. Adjoining neighbours have the opportunity to lodge an objection to the keeping of more than two dogs based on issues such as excessive noise, barking, howling, yapping, smells etc

· Adjoining neighbours are provided with diaries to record any of the above noise issues (if they occur). This will allow us time to substantiate or refute any claims made prior to a decision

· Ranger Services collate all information received and make a determination based on all factors presented

· Owners and neighbours are then notified of the decision. If the application is not approved the owners have 28 days to appeal the decision with the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT)

· If the appeal with SAT is unsuccessful the additional dogs will need to be re-homed within 28 days. If the appeal is upheld the dogs will be permitted to reside at the property under conditions set out by SAT.

It must be noted also that the exemption to keep more than two dogs only relates to the property you reside at when the application is made. If you relocate within the City of Joondalup you would be required to apply for exemption again for the new residence.

We acknowledge that this is a difficult decision for you to make but there is no alternative way of providing permission to house 4 dogs within the City of Joondalup without first having a residence for assessment. Our only other suggestion is that you consider purchasing a larger property further along the coastal strip that would accommodate keeping 4 dogs. Within the City of Joondalup there are very few properties that would fit this criteria."

Not very encouraging I didn't think!

Guest tthorley1979
You'll be fine! We are sending ours with Pet Air who have been fantastic worth every penny as it looks simple but isn't really. As for rental don't worry either there are loads of dogs in rental accom. If you aren't sure on rehoming don't as you will regret it prob.

Hi! Thanks for you're reply, I'm going to do everything we can to get them there :)

Guest tthorley1979
I emailed Joondalup council a few weeks ago and got this reply:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding multiple dog ownership within the City of Joondalup.

Whilst we acknowledge the difficulty and potential expense of relocating your dogs to W.A. we are required by State Legislation to follow a set process in order to assess any application for the keeping of more than two dogs prior to providing an exemption (permit). (WA Dog Act 1976 and the City of Joondalup Animal Local 1999)

In order to assess an application to keep more than two dogs you would need to be living in a residence so that the following criteria can be assessed:

· Property inspection is carried out by a Ranger to assess the size and suitability of the premises

· All adjoining neighbours are advised that the applicant wishes to keep more than two dogs at the residence. Adjoining neighbours have the opportunity to lodge an objection to the keeping of more than two dogs based on issues such as excessive noise, barking, howling, yapping, smells etc

· Adjoining neighbours are provided with diaries to record any of the above noise issues (if they occur). This will allow us time to substantiate or refute any claims made prior to a decision

· Ranger Services collate all information received and make a determination based on all factors presented

· Owners and neighbours are then notified of the decision. If the application is not approved the owners have 28 days to appeal the decision with the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT)

· If the appeal with SAT is unsuccessful the additional dogs will need to be re-homed within 28 days. If the appeal is upheld the dogs will be permitted to reside at the property under conditions set out by SAT.

It must be noted also that the exemption to keep more than two dogs only relates to the property you reside at when the application is made. If you relocate within the City of Joondalup you would be required to apply for exemption again for the new residence.

We acknowledge that this is a difficult decision for you to make but there is no alternative way of providing permission to house 4 dogs within the City of Joondalup without first having a residence for assessment. Our only other suggestion is that you consider purchasing a larger property further along the coastal strip that would accommodate keeping 4 dogs. Within the City of Joondalup there are very few properties that would fit this criteria."

Not very encouraging I didn't think!

Hi,

Thank you so much for going to the trouble of looking into this for us! It looks like it will be safer to take 2 initially and apply for the others whilst there. In the meantime I could get friendly with my neighbours & hopefully they will be understanding of our situation & not object. I was even thinking maybe I could ask someone to register 2 at their address which would solve the problem. I'm sure there wouldn't be neighbour complaints & they are quiet & tiny dogs.

Thanks again for you're reply it's much appreciated :)

Guest tthorley1979
That may well be it. I can't recall exactly, I'd have to go check PIA as I am sure something was said over there, but I am probably wrong :goofy:

Hi, thanks for you're replys, and yes it is per household. I'll still do everything I can to have them there :) x

Guest tthorley1979
The animal number rule depends on the rules of the council. Even if you find a rental that will allow them you will have to register them to the address so you are wise to check out the rules anyway. Looks like you are set on Perth so why not have a look on their website and drop them an email? I know that within the same State the number of pets can vary from suburb to suburb! Areas that are slightly more rural and with a bit more land will likely allow more than 2 dogs. Of course yours are teeny tiny and it is a no brainer that they should be allowed but you don't need the extra hassle of this going on when you land. I am renting with three cats, my area allows them and they are registered and I have a rental that accepts them too. With some planning I am sure you can do it. Good luck x

Thanks for you're reply :) that's great that you have been able to keep 3 cats! I hope we can find a way, thanks for the advice :)

• 1 year later...

Hey everyone. I also have 2 chihuahuas I am wanting to ship to Aus so any price quotes you have been gived would be great to hear. How old were everyones dogs when you shipped them? My two are going to be 7 next year, im really hoping this isnt going to be considered too old? I mean chihuahuas average life expectancy is 14 so they have many years left. What do people think?