After 3 1/2 yrs finally got our visa....... Yay, now need to re-start looking into things....

Family0f4

Hopfully someone can give valuable information to us..

When we first applied for visa back in 2009 we researched everything till we were blue in the face lol, but after awhile we lost hope in getting our visa granted. We then stopped researching and tried to carry on a normal life in uk. In May 2012 we got an email requesting police checks and medicals and now our visa is granted.

Now we need to look into everything all over again as so much has changed in 3 1/2yrs.

We want to live around Brisbane area. We have a 175 Independent visa.

Can anyone help with any of the following:

1.What shipping companies do people reccomend - obviously need to keep to minimal cost, taking most furniture?

2.Areas around brisbane that are recommended and to avoid?

3.Have people arrived and stayed in holiday fully furnished letting OR hotel etc?

4.Is it really difficult to get rented accomodation, what will i need to be able get rented accomodation?

5.schools, will we need to find a good school first, then look for somewhere to live afterwards and would you arrange to visit schools by emailing them from uk just before leaving or when you arrive in Oz?

6.My husband is a head Chef for fine dinning for 17yrs - we was wondering if anyone knows if it is best to apply for jobs just before leaving uk (As most of the time people advertise for chefs to start within a month of advertising) or when we get there? (As sometimes companies require cook off's as part of interview)

Thanks in advance..... :biggrin:

Just my thoughts to get the ball rolling, I am sure otehrs can do better. :biggrin:

1. Get 3 quotes from the main players and go with the cheapest. They are all much of a muchness, no stand out and no one bringing up the rear. We got qquotes from Allied, Anglo Pacific and Doree Bonner.

2. Pass. Not from Brisbane.

3. We did serviced apartment, managed to negotiate a cheaper rate for the extended stay, was about $200 per night for one bedroom suite with kitchen.

4. It is competitive and you need to be organised, but it is not *hard* to get rented accommodation. Everyone manages it in a week or two. Just get your paperwork together, id, proof of earnings and proof of savings being key.

5. Pass sorry.

6. I would recommend putting feelers out maybe 3 weeks in advance. You don't want to do it too early as they might forget about you and not too late because you might kick yourself if you just miss something by being a touch late.

Hello and welcome.

Some good advice above.

Can I make a suggestion re your specific questions though :) You'll get more of a detailed response to each thing if you post in the forum sections that are designed specifically for such topics. We have an Education section (for schooling but you can also ask in the QLD sub section), Transport and Shipping (for removals, lots of good threads already there you will find useful), QLD section for areas in and around Brisbane (and our sister site, Life in Queensland http://www.lifeinqueensland.com/ ) and Employment/Jobs/Careers for work related stuff.

All those sections contain plenty of threads already and you may find some helpful into there while having a read :)

Anything else I can help with, just drop me a PM or give me a shout on my profile wall :)

Cheers

snifter

1. Can only say that we used John Masons who were really good overall.

2. Are you thinking north or south and how far from the CBD? We are about 19km north and good areas around us are Albany Creek, Eatons Hill, Bridgeman Downs. One to avoid is Zillmere I believe.

3. We stayed in Tribeca Apartments in Spring Hill. Cheap and did the job.

4. Got the first rental we applied for. We had a relocation agent which goes in your favour apparently. You need lots of ID, contract of employment (if you have one), we had a landlords reference from a previous landlord that we rented from for several years, and we did a cover letter explaining about being landlords ourselves.

5. We wanted to see the schools first so we emailed from the UK to set up appointments. The ones that are enrolment managed (catchment only) weren't so keen to let us look around as I guess they don't need the "business" but we pressed the issue and managed to see all 5 that we wanted to.

6. Not sure as we came out on a 457 with job arranged. I would agree with looking just before you come to let them know your arrival date etc.

Good luck.

:ssign19:Congratulations on your Visa!!!! 3 1/2 years Oh My Life, they should have given you a Medal as well:biggrin:

Wishing you the best of luck in your new lives Down Under.

Posts like these give me hope that we will get ours some day.

Archived