What to ship over

funkft

Hello,

Hopefully we will be moving over to beautiful Australia within the next 12 months

We are not sure as to what we would have to ship over

We have 2 young children (3yr old and a 6 month old)

Are there items that are an absolute must to ship over and those we can just leave behind?

Any advice/opinions more than welcome

Thank you

If you are ringing a container, fill as much stuff into it as you possibly can.

Thanks for the reply Rupert,

That was my initial plan - however people have said it pointless bringing certain items (wardrobes for example as the majority of properties have built in ones)

Ive also heard that it can be a cheaper option to ship your car over? Not sure about that

Have you any idea on the actual size and cost of a container - i've heard its around £4000

Thanks for the reply Rupert,

That was my initial plan - however people have said it pointless bringing certain items (wardrobes for example as the majority of properties have built in ones)

Ive also heard that it can be a cheaper option to ship your car over? Not sure about that

Have you any idea on the actual size and cost of a container - i've heard its around £4000

Mm yes wardrobes, good point, I had built ins in UK too so was never an issue.

Definitely not cheaper to ring car over, it makes no sense at all for majority of us.

I think the 20ft container averages at about £4k yes, the 40ft one maybe £5-6k.

Depends with wardrobes, if they can be flat packed or filled with light stuff like duvets and pillows then bring them. Yes most houses have a walk in in the master room but our rental did not have wardrobes in the other bedrooms. If nothing else they can eventually be used for garage storage!

depends with a car, what it is. Se Iron Chefs threads in the removals section for more info.

I'd just add, speaking from experience, and that of others who have done this, if you leave anyting in storage in the UK you wont come back to it! We have moved back after a number of years in Sydney and ended up throwing all that we left behind, hence it was wasted money keeping a storage unit going, plus if you are thinking of storage, the cost in Sydney was similar to that in the UK and at least you have the chance of going back for it later on. Provided you can fit it all into a container, take it with you and decide later.

Frogster

Archived