'Poms in oz' lol....Oh, and NVQ's too!

Ken63

G'day all!! I've jsut found this site.

Welcome to Australia :cool: I'm Australian and I lived in the UK for nearly 8 years..I'm based in Melbourne and if there's anything I can help anyone with I'll be happy to do so - so just ask on this thread!

For anyone concerned about NVQ's and how they stack up against the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF), I can tell you that the NVQ 3 is equivalent to the Certificate IV here in Australia...I know because I had mine certified by the Victorian State Government's Department of Business & Innovation (Overseas Qualifications Unit)..

If you don't have an NVQ 3 just scale up and down accordingly to that which you have - NVQ 2 (Certificate 111) NVQ 4 (TAFE-Technical and Further Education) Diploma....Bachelor, Masters and PhD qualifications are the same here as they are in the UK - all equivalent..

For anyone wanting to email the Overseas Qualifications Unit here in Melbourne directly to see how or if they can help you whilst you're still in the UK, their email address is as follows -

"oqu@dbi.vic.gov.au"

Obviously that email address is only relevant if you intend to settle and work in Melbourne or anywhere else within the State of Victoria...If you plan to settle elsewhere in Australia, you'll have to hunt down that respective State Government's equivalent service(s) if they have one...It is a free service in Victoria but it can take around 10 weeks for the process to be completed..There are companies here (I believe) that can do it in a shorter timeframe but there is a nice levy to be parted with for their trouble lol, so if you can wait, then all the better for you..

Cheers

Ken

Guest Illumanati2

Hi Ken thanks for info.

Just a bit more info for tradies etc/

"NVQ 2 might be the equivalent to aqf III" but for TRA purposes its not good enough and they dont recognise it.

Thanks, Cal :-) x

Illuminati2 - you're right..I have been having a discussion with a chap on another thread and I suggested he go back to college and get at least an NVQ 3 in Carpentry and then come out here..Tradie qualifcations are assessed differently to the NQF/AQF models....I believe there is alot more paperwork involved there.

BritChickx - if you can get your NVQ 3

I can't! I would have done if I stayed but then companies want you to stay for a year after you've done it otherwise you pay back all the costs (rightly so of course) so I can't commit to that. Plus i'm going to NZ and applying for a visa to stay in Australia from there....eventually i want to do nursing!

I was gonna do it in England but my partner isn't happy here (nor am i really tho!!) and we both want to go back to Aus, he has PR and lived there for 3 years up until alst year, so i'm hoping to get a partner visa....I don't fancy paying internatial fees so gonna wait until I have PR too....which will take 2 years as i'll get a temp visa first! So in the mean time i'll do care assistant work and save my pennies! (or shall i say cents?). I want to do adult nursing.

Sounds like a good plan! The reason I asked what kind of Nursing you wanted to do is that General Nursing is 3 years as it is in the UK but if you want to do Mental Health/Psychiatric Nursing you could add an extra year or so to the timetable as the RMN/RPN designation is only available as a Post-Grad qualification here, effectively making home grown RMN's duel qualified..Foreign RMN's are employed in the role on the stand alone RMN qualification..