Insurance claim with Letton Percival

LinziM

We have just claimed for damage to an expensive marble dining table and wanted to recommend Letton Percival for their prompt attention and for paying our claim.

Rather than just a random amount of insurance, I wrote a list of our stuff with values (not every single thing, but two A4 typed sheets with all our major stuff listed individually and an amount to cover cooking implement/bedding/glasses/clothes etc) and this really speeded things up. When asking for a quote, I sent the list and had them agree the values by stamping and dating as part of the contract for shipping insurance. Without this we may have had to have a loss adjuster visit us and we would also have had to provide estimates from various suppliers to replace any items lost or damaged.

Although it takes time to do this, I strongly recommend everyone does the same. We insured our table for AUD2,000 which meant I was able to claim this amount, otherwise if you were able to replace the item for AUD1,000 that's all you get (from what I was told by the insurer). Seems a bit open to abuse to me, although I stress Letton Percival were fine with me.

Linzi

Guest Guest62720

Please note the intention of any insurance is to put you back into the same position as you were before the loss. In respect of removals insurance this simply means i) replacing the damaged or broken item on a like for like basis, ii) repairing the item or ii) offering a cash allowance in lieu.

As with any insurance claim, you should neither gain nor be disadvantaged BUT if insurers are able to replace an item for A$ 1,000 on a like-for-like basis and you have declared a sum insured of A$ 2,000, then I can categorically assure you they will opt to replace it and thus meet their obligation under contract to put you back into the same position as you were before the loss.

Please don't think any Insurer will ever replace the item for A$ 1,000 and then offer you another A$ 1,000 simply because you insured it for A$ 2,000.

What did your insurance value come to replace your full contents £20/£30/£40K how much was your policy, by the way IYM is from an insurance company called (insure-your-move.com)

Edited by snifter
Quoted text deleted

Guest The Pom Queen
We insured our table for AUD2,000 which meant I was able to claim this amount, otherwise if you were able to replace the item for AUD1,000 that's all you get (from what I was told by the insurer). Seems a bit open to abuse to me

Linzi

To be honest I would be checking if it's even legal. Usually insurance companies would replace like for like or ask for a receipt of purchase and pay this amount back.

I agree that Letton and Insure Your Move http://www.insure-your-move.com are the better options for your shipping insurance but I would like people to read Lettons Policy before everyone thinks they can over quote and get paid that amount as they will be disappointed. http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/media/images/Summuray_Policy_Cover.pdf

Did u save a lot of money rather than going thru the shipping agents insurance.? Thanks

I'm not sure about saving, but the general consensus seems to be using an impartial insurance company is the better thing to do.

• 8 years later...