Medicare/ insurance

Guest Grego

Guest Grego

hi im just a bit confused about medicare and insurance. do i need travel insurance or can i just have medicare if i can? how much does medicare cost? and say i break my leg falling down the steps would medicare cover you or would i need insurance

Guest nitrox121

medicare is free yes... think you pay an initial upfront fee and claim majority back.

im also taking travel insurance, covers for 10,000,000 incase something bad happens and you need to get home. (you catch my drift)

also covers baggage stolen and cancellation cover. also covers all sorts of sports / jobs etc. and countries if you say plan to visit thai land your still covered over there.

i got mine for 120£ for the year. too cheap not too to be on the safe side.

Guest The Pom Queen

If you are coming from a country with a recipricol arrangement then yes you would be covered.

I recently saw the worst compound fracture ever from a Japanese tourist, it affected his veins as well, and this guy would not go to hospital because he broke his hand last time he was here and it cost $2k, he ended up getting a friend to bandage it and took the next flight home, the poor guy.

However, like I said if you are from the UK and went to A and E there would be no cost.

For someone with a condition - I have crohns - if you struggle to even get insurance companies to quote never mind cover you (still looking) but you are a UK citizen and have a UK passport does it mean you don't really need any? All you need to worry about is paying for your prescriptions?

If so then why does anyone from here take out health insurance?

I declared all about it on my WHV so is it safe to assume even if i needed an op (sincerely hope not) that all costs are covered?

The reciprocal agreement is only for necessary medical intervention - if you have something serious then they would expect you to go home for treatment. One chap I knew had a serious motor accident on his WHV and he had to be repatriated once he was out of Intensive Care - that cost many many thousands which his travel insurance paid. That's why you have it!

Archived