dental treatment abroad (kids and adults)

chiara

Hi there

Well am finally getting around to sorting out health insurance. I'm trying to figure out the best cover with BUPA, but it seems that even on the top cover, orthodontics are only covered to a couple of grand. Now at least 2 of my kids are going to need braces, which if my (not very intensive) research is to be believed, is going to cost around 6k each. My friend has travelled to Phuket several times for dental work and reckons it has worked out massively cheaper. I'm wondering if anyone has done this with their kids -- it's one thing doing it for myself, but I'm not sure if it would be wise to bring the kids abroad for treatment. Has anyone any advice?

Thanks

My son had orthodontic work from the age of 8 until he was about 16/17. Many mouth pieces etc and then braces, however we did ok from the insurance in those days. I guess due to the number of children getting work done they no longer pay out as much anymore. When he had his braces he went to the Dentist every month for a check up.

The dentists give you a written quote for the work. Ours went way over quote but they had to stick to it and they actually gave him the clear braces that are not so visible.

Guest The Pom Queen

We have this with my little one, what the orthodontic guy said was if he starts the work in December we would claim for that year and then I think he said the new year comes in to affect in January so we would be able to claim again.

In regards to travelling abroad, it seems it's ok for most things but not braces as they need checking every so often so it would cost you more in flights keep going back. In regards to the payment you don't have to pay it all at once you can pay in installments

Hi Chiara,

I need lots of dental work done and thinking of going abroad because of the prohibitive cost in OZ. Can you please find out which dentist your friend went to in Phuket and what they think about it?

Can anyone recommend other good reasonable dentists in other countries? I am talking about complicated expensive work - crowns, bridges, implants, not trivial fillings.

Any help would be much appreciated.

India is a good choice for medical or dental work. The A list Apollo hospitals aside one can get good dental treatment from the dental colleges for a fraction of the sum. Chennai has good flights and is one option, so is A B Shettys in Mangalore.

• 2 weeks later...

The daughter of someone I know has braces and their dentist is billing them over the year(s) do they can claim as much as possible from their health cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so no smilies and just assume I 'like' your post unless I say otherwise as there's no 'like' button for me to click on!

Well let me share a bit more knowledge... OK, so daughter will need braces, but in the meantime she needed some extractions, filling etc... I went to a local dental clinic, who has quoted me 165 dollars for an assessment and xray, fair enough. Took her there, dentist did his thing, then said 'now I'm going to give them a bit of a clean, ok?' I said 'yeah sure, whatever' as I had a sleeping one year old sitting in the car outside the window so I was distractedly dashing to and from car to check on him. Went to pay, and was charged 280 dollars. I said 'but that wasn't the quote' and was told that she had a clean, which was 90 dollars extra. Was livid! Aneeewayyyy, was also given a quote for further work of 1200 dollars. Agreed a schedule and left. A teacher then mentioned the school dental bus so I checked it out. Drawn out story short, they are now doing all that minor work for free!! How brilliant is that!! The gave her an appointment in two days, so no long delays etc... check it out if you have kids, save yourself a fortune!

• 1 month later...

Koalaclare, the dental bus is for all school going children. It travels from school to school and is currently in Darlington, but I presume there is more than one (I may be wrong). Phone them and they'll tell you everything you need to know. It's an excellent service, and my daughter has had a couple of hundred dollars of work done already, majorly impressed with this service! 0407594254. Good luck!

Archived