Private school vs State school in Perth, WA

Kruti

Both my children until recently went to a private school. My eldest never really fit in there and we wasted 2.5 years when really I should have sent her to the local high school with not such a good reputation. She fits in there and is more comfortable. We as parents don't consider this when we pick a school for them, my daughter never wanted to go to the school I chose and she was right. I should have listened to her. She is working better at the not so good school and the support I have had from the school has been second to none.

Mine was the exact opposite . We were determined our son would settle into state school. He was bullied and ostracised . It nearly broke us all. He's now at a Private school and doing so well. He's with other kids that are very similar to him and thriving. All kids are different .

Mine was the exact opposite . We were determined our son would settle into state school. He was bullied and ostracised . It nearly broke us all. He's now at a Private school and doing so well. He's with other kids that are very similar to him and thriving. All kids are different .

absolutely and my youngest is a private school person. I just don't want people to think that private school is the bee all and end all of education in Perth because it isn't. I didn't think I would ever hear myself saying as I was adamant my kids wouldn't be going to the local state school. My eldest now goes to school in her daggy track pants, her hair down, make up on and all her piercings in and feels right at home. Shoving her in a blazer every day and expecting her to adhere to the rules of private school was never going to happen with the benefit of hindsight.

It is one of the hardest decisions we are having to make, we live in Kelmscott, Kelmscott High is a pretty good school from what I can see but it has it's problems too, we also have looked at Private in Lesmurdie and John Wollaston which is 5 minutes if that from my house, but it doesn't grab me, but my nephew is going there next year for yr 7 onwards their are kids from Willeton,Canning Vale, Parkwood that comes to John Wollaston!!!! I can't understand that surely there are decent enough school around that catchment area??

I will admit I am worried about my Daughter she is going to Kelmscott High every term on a KEP program till she finishes primary school and then has the chance of getting into the KEP program for yr 8 to yr 12 (must sit exams) it is like their own inner school GATE program so I have been told, to be honest my daughter is a pretty good girl although the teens are creeping up and I can see small changes but she is an average student, we just do the best we can with our choice I guess and hope for the best.

Northernbird I am glad your eldest has settled well into your local high school, I wish her the best of luck :-)) xx

and some kids just don't 'do' education at all....we are really in a difficult position as parents...I don't think our choosing a school has a lot to do with our kids success tbh. I think they either will or won't do well and the primary determinant in that is their own motivation. A good student who is mature and focused will do well in the worst school and the grades don't count more if they come from private school....I guess the class system is alive and kicking in Australia despite mutterings to the contrary though and it's very much 'who you know' not 'what you know' at times...

Edited by HappyHeart

I think this thread shows that all kids are different and have very different needs and that as parents we sometimes make wrong choices or are obsessively focused on academic output.

What I found very helpful was that most schools offer to newcomers to just "sit-in" for a few days. Like that you can test several schools and the kids and yourself will get a better impression what the school is about.

It is definitely not a matter of "you get what you pay for", it is all about individual needs of our kids and as we know each one is very different.

• 2 years later...

Hi I found your old question about kids school. I am in your situation now: looking for a good catholic school in perth but all is full. Now considering a catholic non private school, although I'm not sure of sending my son to a public school. My son is in international private school now in Jakarta.

I'm Indonesian and holding a temp PR. What school your kids Finally went to?

Your advise would be very appreciated. Thank you

Hi I found your old question about kids school. I am in your situation now: looking for a good catholic school in perth but all is full. Now considering a catholic non private school, although I'm not sure of sending my son to a public school. My son is in international private school now in Jakarta.

I'm Indonesian and holding a temp PR. What school your kids Finally went to?

Your advise would be very appreciated. Thank you

There is no such thing as a Catholic non private. All Catholic schools are private. Where will you be living and working?

There is no such thing as a Catholic non private. All Catholic schools are private. Where will you be living and working?

thank you for your reply.

how about notre dame catholic primary school? it states that it's not a private school - what does it mean?

to answer your question northerbird, our house will be around burn beach

i'm newbie in perth primary school search so any input is highly appreciated

thank you for your reply.

how about notre dame catholic primary school? it states that it's not a private school - what does it mean?

to answer your question northerbird, our house will be around burn beach

i'm newbie in perth primary school search so any input is highly appreciated

As far as I am aware all religious schools whatever the affiliation are considered private schools. Nearest 2 Catholic primary schools to Burns Beach are Francis Jordan Catholic in Currambine and St Simon Peter Catholic Primary in Ocean Reef. Local High Schools are Mater Dei in Edgewater and Prendiville Catholic College in Ocean Reef. Sacred Heart is in Sorrento but the waiting lists are huge. The school you mention is in Cloverdale which is a long way from Burns Beach.