Breaking Lease - what are expected/reasonable costs to expect?

For various reasons we are returning to the UK. The lease will be 6 months old out of a 12 month lease when we go.

Just had letter from agent that generally lists all the costs that we will have to endure. Obviously we are trying to find a new tenant to replace us so that landlord doesn't lose the income but I already have concerns that the agent is setting us up for eating up a huge chunk of our $3500 bond!

We have to cover the reinspection costs, inventory costs, condition report updating and the remainder of the 12 months leasing fee (whatever that is!) which so far is equating to over $1000 that I can see. We will have professional cleaners in to do house and carpets but get the feeling that may not be the end reading some of the nightmares on here.

Any tips?

We broke a lease 6 months in. We had to pay $500 for agents costs of readvertising, get the carpets professionally steamed cleaned and that was it. We were lucky though that new tenants were found and wanted to move in as soon as we moved out or we would have been liable for any rent until they had found another tenant.

Hi

we broke our lease, had to pay a few fees, carpets recleaned and then wait until the landlord got a new tenant before bond was handed back. We had paid 6 months in advance to secure lease so I don't think the landlord was in a great rush to get another tenant in. We got bond back and whatever was left of rent about 2 months after we were back in England. If you don't want to pay excessive fees why don't you hang on in for another 6 months. Wish we had of done now as we're heading back later this year, more expenses !!!!

Hi thanks for your replies. We knew there would probably be some element of cost involved as that seems to be the way of the industry here but so far we have the remainder of the 'letting fee', reinspection fee, update of property condition report fee which so far totals to £1000 approx according to the agent. I cant find any of these fees in our contract but then it doesn't specifically have a section for break leases. We have already made our plans to return and some may say 'what do youe expect then?'. I expect to have to cover reasonable costs and not been seen as a cash cow because they have a few grand of our money sitting there which could be in their pocket which is how we are beginning to feel with these costs mounting up.

Archived