Was Canberra your first choice ?

North to South

Hello,

Was Canberra (ACT) your first choice as a destination to migrate too? If so, are you glad you moved there or do you wish you went to your original choice if it wasn't your first choice, and do you wish you were there instead?

Looking forward to some great comments

We didnt migrate per se - it was the best offer at the time but, once there, it had the next opportunity in line so we stayed. TBH I cant think of anywhere else in Australia which would have been better. I dont like the heat and humidity so that rules out a lot. The West is too isolated, the inlaws live in Victoria and we didnt want to be too close to them. We considered lots of other options along the way as opportunities arose and almost went to live in Ok Tedi, Delhi and Broome at various stages in our lives but things just went along as they did and we stayed in Canberra. You could do much worse.

Guest Ptp113

Didn't have a choice as a school kid at 13 but took four states/territories to find the right place. Getting awful crowded though and exy real estate as so popular.

Canberra wasn't our 1st choice......or 2nd, 3rd or 4th! We had lived in Sydney before so we had planned to go back there out of familiarity. I'm glad we're in Canberra now as it's not a place we'd have chosen ourselves. It was good that the deciscion was taken out of our hands. I sometimes wish we were in sydney instead (usually when I'm sitting on a beach up there at the weekend) but when we come back to Canberra I'm always glad that the "rush" of a big city like Sydney is over :-)

Guest boothy

Hi there

Yes Canberra was our first choice for a number of reasons:

Great place to bring up a young family with loads of child friendly stuff going on all the time

4 seasons weather - with young children this is perfect and being from the UK it was easy to settle in and slowly get used to the hot summers (sometimes!)

Great work opportunities - both myself and my husband have had no problems getting work

Lots more reasons but i won't go on. In a nutshell it has been a great move, no regrets and not looked back (not even once)

I'm sure not everyone feels the same, but for us we couldn't ask for more :)

Sam

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bazinga

I married an Aussie who got a job here. Having recently explored a bit more and discovered Tidbinbilla, Uriarra & Mt Stromio I def don't regret the move here!

Guest Ptp113
I married an Aussie who got a job here. Having recently explored a bit more and discovered Tidbinbilla, Uriarra & Mt Stromio I def don't regret the move here!

You haven't even scratched the surface really. So much is hidden away. We are still making discoveries after 36 years!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ptp113
our first choice was adelaide but been here 7 months now and wouldn't live elsewhere. loving canberra

As an ex Croweater I can understand that. You have no idea how bad Sadelaide is!

Archived