SS possible if you've already 65 points?

dredg97

Hi all,

VETASSESS gave me a positive response a couple of days ago, in order to get to 65 points I need 7 in the IETLS test (already made 3 attempts, the results will be out the next Friday).

Let's assume (hopefully) I'll get the result I need; I will have 65 points in that case.

My migration agent is saying that I have to apply for a 175 visa, while I would like to ask for State Sponsorhip (Western Australia) and lodge the application for a 176 State Sponsored visa instead, mainly because it is processed faster. (perhaps I want to live and work in the WA, so I would comply also with the moral obligation of the sponsorhip).

My question is, am I entitled to apply for a SS even if I'm already at 65 points?

Thanks for any clarification.

Hi all,

VETASSESS gave me a positive response a couple of days ago, in order to get to 65 points I need 7 in the IETLS test (already made 3 attempts, the results will be out the next Friday).

Let's assume (hopefully) I'll get the result I need; I will have 65 points in that case.

My migration agent is saying that I have to apply for a 175 visa, while I would like to ask for State Sponsorhip (Western Australia) and lodge the application for a 176 State Sponsored visa instead, mainly because it is processed faster. (perhaps I want to live and work in the WA, so I would comply also with the moral obligation of the sponsorhip).

My question is, am I entitled to apply for a SS even if I'm already at 65 points?

Thanks for any clarification.

Absolutely yes. I got 65 points and have been sponsored by WA to increase to 10 more.

Thanks for your reply, I probably should change my migration agent, since he is saying that with 65 points I have to apply for the 175 visa.

According to him, SS is only for people who cannot get to 65 points 'indipendently', but just to 60...

I'm actually stuck at 55, waiting for the IELTS results, he's trying to convincing me to apply for the 475 visa, but I aim to a permanent one...

Thanks for your reply, I probably should change my migration agent, since he is saying that with 65 points I have to apply for the 175 visa.

According to him, SS is only for people who cannot get to 65 points 'indipendently', but just to 60...

I'm actually stuck at 55, waiting for the IELTS results, he's trying to convincing me to apply for the 475 visa, but I aim to a permanent one...

Just about any visa is better than no visa.

From what you have posted I assess that you can probably rely on the advice of your agent.

Thank you Wrussel for your post.

It makes me consider that option actually...

I have 55 points now (37 years old, master of science in engineering and 8 years of experience overseas); I got a positive assessment from VETASSESS this week.

I sat the IELTS test three times:

1st attempt: L:6.5 R:8 W:7 S:7

2nd attempt: L:7.5 R:9 W:6.5 S:7.5 (Enquiry on Result pending for the Writing section)

3rd attempt: results this Friday.

I am very close to get 7 in all four components, that's why I'm trying again and again in order to get 10 extra points.

Should I go on with IELTS and enter the Skill Select system or apply now for a 475?

I think it's wise waiting for this Friday and after that making a decision...certainly four 7s would mean probably to apply for a permanent visa before Jul 1st...

Archived