457 further proof of de facto relationship (Ireland-based)

Hi, My partner has applied for a 457 visa and I'm hoping to travel as his de facto partner.

We're together nearly seven years, but because of work circumstances have lived in two different cities, commuting to each other every other weekend. Over the past two years, he's been able to spend more time with me - leaving here on Mon/Tues mornings and returning Thurs/Fri evenings.

However, we never added his name to my lease or bills so have no proof that we've lived together.

We submitted our visa application along with car insurance (he's a named driver on my insurance), yearly travel insurance, a number of flight itineraries going back six and a half years, a joint credit union account statement for 2012 and two wedding invitations addressed to us both.

We've just been asked to provide further evidence of our relationship so have put some photographs together of us in various places over the years (on holidays, at weddings and at family graduations) and have organised four statutory declarations - one from his parents, a mutual friend, a local councillor and one from my employers. My partner is also planning to include a copy of a book he dedicated to me.

Is there anything else we could submit? I've trawled through dozens of threads and some people mentioned writing individual or joint statutory declarations. Does anyone know if these need to be witnessed and if so, can a garda do so in Ireland?

Also, can anyone give us an idea of how long it takes to process the 457 visa application if we get the info back to them within a few days? My partner is due to start work at the end of July and we're waiting to book flights and begin shipping our belongings.

Thanks!

Well you are not a defacto couple, so it is going to be tricky to prove you are. A defacto couple is same as a married couple in all but name and married couples do not typically live in different cities due to work commitments, other than for temporary reasons of course. They certainly don't spend the duration of a 7 year relationship living apart.

On a more positive note, the CO is asking for more information not declining the visa outright which is very good. I think you would have no chance if this were a permanent visa but they are not as strict with the 457. I would chuck everything you have at it to be honest, statements, photos, invitations, wills, the lot.

Has he had anything sent to your address in his name or vice versa?

Do you have any other joint finances (Have you got any other statements from that credit union account? or regular transfers to each others accounts - highlight these on bank statements, holidays bought together etc etc)

Have you made wills? (if not, make them now, shows future commitment which is very important)

How did/do you travel to see each other? can you show any evidence of this? (If it was by train, then highlight payments to train company on card statements)

Don't worry too much about what Rupert said, living together isn't a requirement, in fact I know several married couples who live in different countries to each other, it's unusual, but not a deal breaker, provided you have enough other evidence. There have been several couples on here who have qualified for partner visas who hadn't lived together prior to the application.

Don't worry too much about what Rupert said, living together isn't a requirement, in fact I know several married couples who live in different countries to each other, it's unusual, but not a deal breaker, provided you have enough other evidence. There have been several couples on here who have qualified for partner visas who hadn't lived together prior to the application.

You think people should not worry too much about whether they live together or not when applying for visa on the basis of being defacto. Interesting view ....