Would you or wouldn't you? And if you did would you just not admit to it ???

kimsdu

I couldnt get anything even a bank account for years, My mother had letters sent to her address constantly and the phone never stopped ringing for 7 years even though i did not live at that address.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462630

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=649352

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/money-finance/81672-emigrating-uk-debt-2.html

......and you still asked?

If i had experienced what you say you have experienced and then also found through research what you have found then I would have had the answer very early on. The links above tell me that posters are simply trying it on and hoping to get away with it. Cool. I also put a lot of credence in hope. lol. Tell you AQ's they best start hoping.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

......and you still asked?

If i had experienced what you say you have experienced and then also found through research what you have found then I would have had the answer very early on. The links above tell me that posters are simply trying it on and hoping to get away with it. Cool. I also put a lot of credence in hope. lol. Tell you AQ's they best start hoping.

Sorry i thought this was a forum for discussion !! It doesnt really matter what i think or not, its not like im going to ever talk to the people concerned about it! I was asking others opinions on this SUBJECT as this IS a discussion forum and wanted to see the different reactions. Geez sorry i bothered .

Sorry i thought this was a forum for discussion !! I was asking others opinions on this SUBJECT as this IS a discussion forum and wanted to see the different reactions. Geez sorry i bothered .

And I gave you mine.......and we are discussing and airing opinion, are we not?

IMO the subject is pretty clear cut.

Its depressing this needs to be discussed.

Anyone who does this is stealing from their parents, kids, friends & everyone on this forum. The lenders have static margins - all that change are banking costs passed onto the customers.

Oh and if you get rear ended in a car accident - your neck is going to be stiff for a day or two. You don't need to claim whiplash. You are OK. My premium is high enough already.

Edited by DaveS
-

And I gave you mine.......and we are discussing and airing opinion, are we not?

IMO the subject is pretty clear cut.

You asked me why i needed to ask the question and i simply replied . Not sure why you are challenging me personally when i was just asking for thoughts on the subject that apparently we both seem to agree on. :err:

Guest guest66832
I agree , However apparently it is not uncommon. We are talking about £4000 on the CCs and £3000 on all the furniture i dont know what else they are doing.

And when they have run up all this debt and sloped off to Australia like thieves in the night the people that move into their property are going to get chasing letters and letters of demand from debt recovery agencies for a very long time to come. It could be years that the property has a bad debt against it because if one debt agency cannot recovery the outstanding money they can sell the debt onto another debt recovery agency. And not just letters but telephone calls from the debt recovery agency. It is a selfish act that does have an impact on others and it can not be defended by any argument.

You asked me why i needed to ask the question and i simply replied . Not sure why you are challenging me personally when i was just asking for thoughts on the subject that apparently we both seem to agree on. :err:

Its your thread. You came here for personal opinion. You got some. If you in turn begin taking it personally then thats your problem. I have no beef with you here. Its the subject that I have issue with.........which is what I have responded too.

No grey area for me so we do not agree! I accept that. My comments have always been directed to your questions and the evidence that you produce to say that 'it does happen....ALOT' and the '6 year issue', which are the grey areas you seemed content to fall back on. What the links that you use to show us that it is happening ALOT is actually people asking if it is possible to do a runner and get away with it and being told NO.......dont do it..........its illegal............its immoral............its wrong. Your prior research must have indicated this. I dont actually see the 'doing a runner' actually happening in your links but simply see the same that has happened here, third party posters simply saying that they wouldnt do it or they know a mans sister in-laws best friends boyfriends dad did it and.....................all hearsay of the wishful thinking and hopefull perhaps and internet forum lawyer & barrister jargen ensues. Quite a long winded way to establish the obvious! IMO.

Bottom line is if an issue like this is raised on any forum then the OP must be prepared for what comes. IMO of course.

Whilst the type of fraud that the OP describes is probably not that common, there is another type that is. Just about all of my UK friends here in Australia still owe on their student loans and all have lied to the Student Loan Company saying that they are 'travelling' and not declaring their true incomes (which for some of them is now well over $120k). They seem to believe it will just get written off after a certain amount of time and they will never be chased for it. The thing is, Student Loans, contrary to popular beleif, are real debt. They accrue interest and as soon as you set foot back in the UK they will bite you on the arse!

Personally since I'm making more money in Oz I am taking the opportunity to pay it off as quickly as possible, and the exchange rate really helps at the moment. I spent that money whilst studying - it fed and clothed me and I feel a moral responsibility to pay it back. Hopefully in July next year I will crack open a bottle of bubbly to celebrate it being paid off in full!

And some of those friends are in the process of moving back to the UK. I think they might feel a twinge of regret for not paying it back when they were earning twice as much in Australia for 5 years! I think after 25 years the loan is written off but none of them will stay here that long, plus the student loan company do chase people every so often. One friend who has been here for 7 years said they phoned her mum in the UK asking about her financial situation. Can't get away with it!!