Any Builders shipped there tools out, I need advice.!!

Hi, have any builders/bricklayers shipped there own used tools out, if so how clean is clean, do you have to get every bit of dried cement & grout of your tools or is it just soil & loose sand there worried about.

I've only just started cleaning my tools and it's starting to do my head in :arghh:, makes me wonder if it would be best just to buy new if i'm going to possibly get charged for having them cleaned cleaner than i've managed to get them :unsure:

Guest littlesarah

My husband is a joiner, so his tools don't get too dirty, but he spent ages cleaning them, that I do know! As I understand it, AQIS's main concern is the transmission of living things via soil etc, so grout shouldn't (in theory at least) be a problem. We ended up spraying the few garden tools we brought over (because they were a bit rusty). I'm sure I read somewhere that AQIS are happy with that (I guess it seals the dirt in as well as the chemicals in the paint probably being toxic).

Have you asked the shipping company? They ought to know (seeing as they ship stuff all the time).

Good luck!

We were advised to clean them up and then just before packing, spray with jeyes fluid. Apparently the smell is very strong so customs know you have made the effort. If theres any rust maybe spray with hammerite, altho i know thats not really possible with a trowel. My hubbys a bricklayer and thats wat we will do if ever the bloody house exchanges!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest alder1204

Clean clean clean mate. Expensive to replace your kit here. I'm a carpenter and spent 3 days cleaning my kit with my father in law. Result - no charges at customs and no headache trying to source new equipment. It's stressful and busy enough moving and starting the new life without having to replace your kit on top.

Clean clean clean mate. Expensive to replace your kit here. I'm a carpenter and spent 3 days cleaning my kit with my father in law. Result - no charges at customs and no headache trying to source new equipment. It's stressful and busy enough moving and starting the new life without having to replace your kit on top.

Hi alder, im a carpenter looking to ship my tools over when we move to perth,but all my gear is 110v. Is it worth bringing them as someone told me you cant use 110v on sites out there, which is a pain as ive got quite a bit of gear. also do they use paslode nail guns out there?

Guest matthemason

I took two 110 transformers and new leads but stuff will not be with me till aug. if your tools have wooden handles use Lin seed oil on them (I used cricket bat oil) and wd40 on all metal as the customs love the smell.

Guest alder1204

I started to sell my 110v and replace with 240v before I came. I'm sure you could use 110v on site here but have not seen it in my short time here. To be honest I was glad to get rid of my transformer. Sick of lugging it about. If you can get good discount from a tool shop you have used in the UK for years go for it. The other option is to buy some new here as its a good way of creating a network. Paslode is used here.

Be prepared the timber is way different.

I started to sell my 110v and replace with 240v before I came. I'm sure you could use 110v on site here but have not seen it in my short time here. To be honest I was glad to get rid of my transformer. Sick of lugging it about. If you can get good discount from a tool shop you have used in the UK for years go for it. The other option is to buy some new here as its a good way of creating a network. Paslode is used here.

Be prepared the timber is way different.[/quote

cheers alder, i know what you mean,i would quite happily bin my transformer off! but if i can use my 110v tools i would rather do that than buy new:biggrin:

Be prepared the timber is way different.

how is the timber different?

Archived