Car Insurance

Guest markjames81

Guest markjames81

Hello Guys

When I leave for OZ I have to sell my beloved Honda Civic Type R

So to cheer myself up im going to buy a Subaru Impreza WRX STI.

Car insurance in the UK for me with 5 years NCB and at the age of 27 would cost me somewhere in the region £1500, $3200.

I am wondering what the difference in insurance costs are in OZ compared to the UK

Also what other costs such as tax etc can I expect. Would like some general information with regards to motor running costs if anyone can help

Cheers

Mark

Insurance is a completely different kettle of fish over here. Firstly you have to pay registration for your car each year. This covers 3rd party insurance. Anything above this is not compulsory. From what I can make out there is no MOT either - you just have to have a roadworthy certificate when you sell your car. Reggo is paid every year - I haven't had to renew ours yet so I don't know how much that will be - someone else is bound to post the answer on here.

You also have to pay stamp duty on cars here - a certain % for new and a differen % for second hand - sorry again I can't remember how much!

I did take out fully comp insurance on my car mainly because it was brand new and I'd probably be unlucky enough to have an accident if I didn't. My insurance cost about $700, I have a Kia Sportage - this took into account my 5 years NCB from home. It also means in the first 2 years of having my car, if it is a write-off I get a brand new car to replace it! This is with RACV. Hubbie insured his 10 year old Kia Mentor fully comp as well and it cost about $200.

I recommend you have a google search for aussie insurance companies and try a few of their onliine quotes. That would give you an idea of what you need to have saved up!

Felicity:wub:

Guest dwaldron

I just renewed the rego here in Victoria on a V6 3.8L Holden Commodore and it was $575 for the year, the insurance is about $600 so $1200/£520 per year all in, but it would be cheaper for a smaller/4 cylinder car.

Hiya im in Brisbane and have a standard Mitsubushi lancer 2006 model, my rego (with third party ins) is $564.00 per year.I also have fully comp insurance (but you dont have to)which is $520.00 a year.Thats it ,,other than fuel and maintaince costs ,no mot's or anything unless you are selling the vehicle.As i had full no claims in the uk ,i was given a discount on my fully comp insurance so dont forget to ask,,

Cal x

Guest markjames81

Sounds good, nice cheap motoring.

I got a quote for fully comp insurance last night which came in at $1,700 with the rego at $600 thats at total of $2,300 or around £1,000 in the UK.

Now if I running this car in the UK I would be looking at around £2,000 insurance, £250 tax, £100 MOT im sure I could go on.

But the killer factor is that petrol is half the price, but I suppose You have to drive twice as far to get where you want to go!!!

Guest dwaldron

But the killer factor is that petrol is half the price, but I suppose You have to drive twice as far to get where you want to go!!!

Don't forget that on a per capita basis you are twice as likely to die on the roads here than in the UK so take it easy :-) And speed cameras are everywhere and not painted bright yellow!

SA defends wheelie bin speed camera plan. 14/06/2004. ABC News Online

Sounds good, nice cheap motoring.

I got a quote for fully comp insurance last night which came in at $1,700 with the rego at $600 thats at total of $2,300 or around £1,000 in the UK.

Now if I running this car in the UK I would be looking at around £2,000 insurance, £250 tax, £100 MOT im sure I could go on.

Don't start comparing UK petrol prices to Australia. Once you're here you will be earning dollars and they don't go very far when you're filling your car up. We're paying roughly $1.40 for a litre of petrol now, a few weeks ago the average was about $1.25. Prices are on the rise on the petrol front.

Felicity:wubclub:

Guest markjames81
Don't start comparing UK petrol prices to Australia. Once you're here you will be earning dollars and they don't go very far when you're filling your car up. We're paying roughly $1.40 for a litre of petrol now, a few weeks ago the average was about $1.25. Prices are on the rise on the petrol front.

Felicity:wubclub:

petrol over here is now at £1.05 per litre so around $2.35 aus money, and as far as earning aussy dollars, i will earn around 90k with my job as an electrical estimator in construction. i dont know how that compres with the average, but i have worked out that i will be fairly comfortable with living costs

Archived