Salary Advise on 176 visa v 457 visa

jag

Hi people,

I thought it might be useful to get a thread going on the above topic.

My DH had a skype interview last night, and they told him what his salary would be on a temp visa 457. But never mentioned what it would be when we get our 176 visa through. I have looked up the tax websites but I am finding it so confusing.

Any advice would be great on the differences between a 176 and a 457 visa.

All comments welcome. :)

Guest MM Marc

The link below shows the tax rates for residents and non residents. At the top it says "residency - what you need to know". Resident for tax purposes is different than for immigration purposes. Simply put if you live in one place for 6 months then you are resident for tax purposes. So there should be no difference in tax on your pay!

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/content.aspx?doc=/content/12333.htm&mnu=5464&mfp=001/002

Hey,

Thanks

I seen this website, thanks its really good.

However, the info on salary my DH received on his skype interview was based on a working holiday or 457 visa,

that's why I was trying to figure out what his actual salary would be on a perm resident visa.

any ideas on the differences of the two?

Guest VickyMel

As above - the 457 is supposed to pay the equivalent rate to an Oz salary for the position.

So it should be the same.

Tax wise - I assume once you are registered for tax (be you temp or PR) I assume it would be the same rate.

A place you might check out the going rate for the type of position your OH is in is to look at http://www.seek.com.au/ which is a job ad site and see what is being offered.

Hey,

Thanks

I seen this website, thanks its really good.

However, the info on salary my DH received on his skype interview was based on a working holiday or 457 visa,

that's why I was trying to figure out what his actual salary would be on a perm resident visa.

any ideas on the differences of the two?

Why fo you think it would be any different?

Archived