Primary School teaching jobs in NT!!!

paget01

Hi could anyone tell me what the situation is like for getting a teaching job in Primary Schools in and around Darwin. Any info regarding full time, relief, private or state. I've heard its virtually impossible to get a permanent job but i'm more than happy to do relief as long as there a call for it. Many thanks in advance!

Paget

Amongst my friends I have have 4 teachers and 3 nurses.Of the 3 nurses only 1 is employed the other 2 are on waiting lists,none of the teachers have found work in Darwin !!!Within the NT both jobs are needed just not in Darwin it seems.

Thanks for letting me know, have the teachers managed to get regular relief work though? And how long have they been in Darwin? I'd be looking to stay in the Palmerston area but would travel to if there was supply work anywhere!! Cheers

2 have been here 18 months and the other nearly a year.The one that is working is doing maternity cover at the mo.The other 3 are working in totally different roles.

When you say you are willing to travel....where to ?? Our next town of any size is Katherine 3 hours away after that its Alice Springs 1500 kms away.I think a lot of the teaching and nursing roles go to the Defence wives.As they are posted in/out approx every 3 yrs and know about 6 months in advance on their next location.Being a defence wife myself we tend to pick jobs we can relocate with ie teacher,nurse,chef,hairdresser.Darwin has a Defence population of approx 5000 and the Americans have just sent 200 over as the start to their build up of 2500.

2 have been here 18 months and the other nearly a year.The one that is working is doing maternity cover at the mo.The other 3 are working in totally different roles.

When you say you are willing to travel....where to ?? Our next town of any size is Katherine 3 hours away after that its Alice Springs 1500 kms away.I think a lot of the teaching and nursing roles go to the Defence wives.As they are posted in/out approx every 3 yrs and know about 6 months in advance on their next location.Being a defence wife myself we tend to pick jobs we can relocate with ie teacher,nurse,chef,hairdresser.Darwin has a Defence population of approx 5000 and the Americans have just sent 200 over as the start to their build up of 2500.

Oh that doesn't sound very promising! Thanks for the info! Might have to think about what else I could do over there.

try looking for job info on the NT Government website nt.gov.au/jobs. you can search for jobs here under education/teaching - you won't find most public school teaching jobs on the popular recruitment websites.

Not a clue what vacancies are like at the moment but the NT is extremely transient so there must be vacancies when people leave. The government operates a strict Merit based selection process so you would have to prove you are the most meritorious applicant against all others to get a job over 6 months or permanent. This may be difficult if there are teachers locally or already in Australia who have a better working knowledge of the cirriculum and local cultural issues.

not sure where jobs for private schools are advertised but many are religious so bear that in mind...for example I was on a course with someone from one of the Catholic schools and they would not employ anyone who wasn't Catholic...and astonishingly that's not discrimination under the NT's Anti-discrimination Act!

Don't think they have started beuling at Weddell yet - have a look on the NT Gov't site on planning and development - i think it will be a few years before there's a decent population there.

good luck

Jo

Thanks Jo for all that info!! I know it will be difficult at first but it will all be worth it!! Yeah I looked at the Gov't site and they aren't planning on anything until 2014 I really hope we will be in Darwin before then!

• 1 month later...

There was something in the news the other month about NT getting a HUGE amount more for education over the coming year, and the NT teaching website seems to be crying out for remote teachers, so if you're up for doing some time in the sticks you would probably be ok. You get free accommodation, so can save buckets of money, but obviously have to put up with a population 40 or something for a bit.

Can't comment on Darwin/Parmy itself I'm afraid, as haven't looked into those areas - remote teaching seems a little more appealing at this stage.

• 3 months later...

If you are willing to work in remote communities then you stand a better chance - everyone wants to work in the cities, hence the lack of jobs.

You will also need a minimum of four years of university study, it's mandatory for all of Australia. Such as a four year Bachelor of Education or a three year Bachelor followed by one year post grad teaching course based at university. I lived in Alice Springs for five years when I first came over here and whilst it is very isolated but is not considered remote, there were plentiful teaching opportunities there and a well resourced town ( but a lot of violence )..

Archived