The Best Way To Explore Australia

Guest guest51333

Guest guest51333

Hi everyone, we are looking to go to Australia at the end of the year for a month and im interested to know your thoughts as to whether or not it is better to stay in hotels/motels or to rent a house for the duration of our stay, we want to do a bit of travelling round so wondered if it was better to rent a house for a week in each place we visit, or just book hotels? Im really looking forward to going away but also scared of the amount of work it is going to take to organise, i dont just want to turn up I want to have a plan as to where we are going to go and see as much as possible, my husband is also hoping to speak to lots of different companies re employment and we want to check out schools, houses etc, so lots to do in a month!!!! regards xx:eek:

Which state are you looking to move to?

Bear in mind that end of December & all of January are the peak holiday periods, so rental prices are high, and you need to book early to avoid ending up somewhere pretty average and paying big bucks.

Australia is a massive country, so I would personally recommend sticking to just travelling around the one state (you can do a lot more travelling when you are here permanently)

If you are looking at Victoria, you could for example book a week in or around mornington or Philip island having a break on the beach, a few days/week up the great ocean road, come back the long way to the CBD via Ballarat and maybe some other regional towns, and then spend a week or so somewhere in the vicinity of were you are planning on living and working.

Depends which city you are going to...

I'd say hotels in Sydney and Melbourne are plentiful and cheap enough to give you numerous options

Perth on the other hand, not many hotels and they can be expensive, so i'd rent a house there

Brisbane is a bit inbetween so you could go for either

Adelaide, I've never been but from what I've seen doesnt look like enough goes on there to warrant a large number of hotels so perhaps a rented house would suit better there

I doubt that you will be able to rent a house for 1 month under normal rental terms. Holiday let perhaps, which are more expensive. End of year is Christmas and therefore Aussie summer hols time. Holiday rentals therefore very expensive and scarce unless booked in advance.

Backpackers and hostels full with......backpackers.

Depending on desired itinary, Campervan .....always a great idea (not for city stay) and serves a number of obvious purposes for sleep and adventure but again could be booked up in advance at that time of year.

Dual hoilday. First two weeks static location for the interviews/property searching etc followed by two weeks exploring your chosen area.

You could find spreading yourself a bit thin for just one month, unless concentrating on a specific area.

Good luck

Guest guest51333

Thanks everyone your help is much appreciated, what other time of the year would you recommend (we want it to be lovely and warm whilst we are there ) the reason I was looking to go at this time of year was that 20 years ago I went with my parents for 7 weeks between December & February, I would be happy to go at another time of year but havent a clue as to when is the best time. I think we are going to concentrate between NSW and Brisbane side of Queensland, but then I suppose it all depends on where my husband gets a job, I feel so confused about what to do because it is going to cost alot of money to come over and I dont want to go to the wrong places hellllppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone your help is much appreciated, what other time of the year would you recommend (we want it to be lovely and warm whilst we are there ) the reason I was looking to go at this time of year was that 20 years ago I went with my parents for 7 weeks between December & February, I would be happy to go at another time of year but havent a clue as to when is the best time. I think we are going to concentrate between NSW and Brisbane side of Queensland, but then I suppose it all depends on where my husband gets a job, I feel so confused about what to do because it is going to cost alot of money to come over and I dont want to go to the wrong places hellllppppp!!!!!!!!!!!

The area between NSW & Brisbane is huge. Difficult to give any specific advise without knowing where the job will be and where you want to settle.

What is your priority? Is it for the job search and schools or is it for the holiday?

I would magine that any time of year, except Christmas, is good for seeing employers and schools.Without specifics, I would go with the dual approach of

static location for the interviews/property searching/Schools etc followed by a campervan for the remainder.

Guest guest51333
The area between NSW & Brisbane is huge. Difficult to give any specific advise without knowing where the job will be and where you want to settle.

What is your priority? Is it for the job search and schools or is it for the holiday?

I would magine that any time of year, except Christmas, is good for seeing employers and schools.Without specifics, I would go with the dual approach of

static location for the interviews/property searching/Schools etc followed by a campervan for the remainder.

Thank you very much good advice

Archived