Council tax ?

Guest klangton

Guest klangton

hi everyone

Can anyone tell us whether there is council tax or its equivalent to pay in queensland on rented properties?

If so, how do they work out how much to pay?

Thanks

Karen

The owner normally pays this on a rental property ,you only have to pay it when you own a house.Mine are approx $700.00 a year ,i think im right in saying the price is based on the value of your LAND not house( i have 2 acers).It also covers ,water charges,garbage,fire levy and waste.The ambulance charge is on your elec billThe ambulance cover is added onto your electric bill ,mine shows $24.36 pr bill(91days) .Hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest dwaldron

The tenants do not pay the rates in any state of Australia (yay!) but you will probably (but not necessarily certainly) have to pay for water.

Guest Pingpongpom

Yep no council tax, we payed our landlord a minimal amount towards water every 6 months, and from what i can remember no tv license either..correct me if i'm wrong..i found paying bills like electric, gas and phone every month a bit strange for a while, as we pay it quarterly in uk..all sounds good but eh?..

Pingpong:cute:

Guest klangton

Thanks for the replies everyone

That is good news for us as we will be renting for the first few years. What a bonus on no tv license too!!! Strange that the ambulance payment goes through the electic bill ..... what logic is that???

Is the cost of petrol cheaper over there too, if so then that is another saving. I've been reading some threads on the cost of living over there and we are a bit concerned but at the end of the day, we are going for the quality of life and good prospects for the future for us and the children.

Once again thanks for you help

Karen xx

Guest jenny4nails

58p for petrol??!! expensive???!!!! You want to try paying £1.05 a litre for petrol...that's what it is at the moment for unleaded here in the UK. Then with your insurance, MOT and road tax.....it's not cheap to say the least. Our council tax is approx £120 per month in the UK...

I have to get off my high horse when I get started on the cost of living here in the UK...it's no good for my blood pressure! ha ha.

Jenny

Petrol $1.45 in Canberra yesterday:arghh:

Dont forget that income tax is 30% but GST (VAT) is only 10% to add into your equation. We also have a medicare levy on top of the income tax you pay - that is doubled if you earn over a certain amount as they are trying to get as many people as possible to pay for private health insurance. Health insurance is another nasty little suprise (over $200 a month for a pair of us) where the premiums go up all depending on when you joined the scheme - so if you join at 30 (or is it 35?) your premiums will remain at a lifetime low but for every year after that that you join, your premiums will increase. So, someone of my age who joins a scheme for the first time could well be paying double what I pay! Medicare of course covers basic medical stuff but if you have a need for elective surgery (like your kids' tonsils or your gall bladder removal) then you can be waiting years in some cases for a theatre spot.

Lots of little pleasures that crop up from time to time!!!

quote=klangton;166993]

Strange that the ambulance payment goes through the electic bill ..... what logic is that???

Karen xx

If it is part of the electricity bill you will not forget it

If you do not have ambulance cover and need an ambulance at any time

you will be presented with a bill of a few thousand dollars !:cry:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest markjames81
Only above $30,000, up until that point it is 15% or 0%.

many tax sites that I have looked at show income tax at 25% in queensland for my job which would pay $90k and what is the contribution for medicare. im aware that you have private health insurance, but do you still have to pay the medicare if you go private.

arrrhhh so many questions. i guess we will find out the real deal once we are there

Guest dwaldron
many tax sites that I have looked at show income tax at 25% in queensland for my job which would pay $90k and what is the contribution for medicare. im aware that you have private health insurance, but do you still have to pay the medicare if you go private.

arrrhhh so many questions. i guess we will find out the real deal once we are there

Income tax is a federal tax - it is the same rate in all states. Current rates:

Individual income tax rates

I guess after you take out your tax free threshold then your 15% component then the 30% component and the top bracket component it does average out to something like 25% overall.

Medicare levy is 1.5% of your taxable income (when you do your income tax return there will be things that you can offset against your tax liability, like attendance at conferences, union membership, accountants fees etc). If you dont have private health insurance then you pay 1% of your taxable income on top of that via the Medicare Levy Surcharge. As you will have private medical then you wont have to pay that additional amount.

Guest markjames81
I guess after you take out your tax free threshold then your 15% component then the 30% component and the top bracket component it does average out to something like 25% overall.

Medicare levy is 1.5% of your taxable income (when you do your income tax return there will be things that you can offset against your tax liability, like attendance at conferences, union membership, accountants fees etc). If you dont have private health insurance then you pay 1% of your taxable income on top of that via the Medicare Levy Surcharge. As you will have private medical then you wont have to pay that additional amount.

thanks for that. you have to factor all these things in when trying to work out what you can afford before moving i suppose

cheers

Mark

Archived