Buying a car with no Road worthy cert????

millers

Been looking at a car with no road worthy and the owner is not at all interested in getting one before he sells it......if i do buy it without one, is this legal? and what does a road worthy entail ? i understand its like a MOT but a bit different???

Guest Guest31881

I believe that any car in QLD that is sold with rego plates must have a Road worthy. If they want to sell it without a road worthy then they have to remove the rego plates then it is sold as seen really and you cannot register it in your name without a road worthy cert. The Road Worthy is like an MOT.

Buying a car with rego plates and no road worthy could cause all sorts of problems as you cannot transfer it to your name without the road worthy cert... That is the way I understand it in QLD .....

The law is the same in Victoria but loads of people sell without one, it just means you have to get the RWC yourself, who knows how much that might cost? it's a bit of a gamble, if you can find one with a roadworthy you'd be saving yourself a lot of hassle.

In agreeance with all above comments! If no roadworty, you could be setting yourself up for big bill to pay to get one.

If you are interested in the car and have mates who are mechanics, get them to have a look at it to see what they reckon, or else you can pay someone to look at it for you to let you know what bills you may be in for.

If the car has been modified, dependant on the mods, it may not even be possible to obtain a roadworthy unless you remove them and put back to standard (one thing that came up time and time again during my 7 month search for the 'right' car at the 'right' price were suspension mods - if it's been raised more than 2 inches above factory standard it wont get a roadworthy).

From experience roadworty checks are pretty stringent! They noted my car had possible issues due to a small scratch on the tint on the rear left passenger window as it could cause a possible vision problem (from the drivers seat it's not even in your line of sight!) and a small water leak on the drivers side from the roof bar channel into the headliner.....

There's also a safety cert ($60.....if all is well - had to have a leaking oil seal replaced on my car to get the safety cert....at additional cost to safety cert fee.....). Not sure if thats needed if you are buying a car unregistered though, but am pretty sure you'll need one down the line to be able to register the car.

Guest HeywoodMonkey

Step away from the vehicle ............ Mate do yourself a favour and leave it well alone, if he's not prepared to put a " proper " RWC on it then he knows it won't pass unless some serious Wonga is spent.

There have been a lot of recent changes to the RWC system, and as I recently found out, it is all supposedly there to protect the buyer.

The downside is that it is almost impossible to get some vehicles passed as a seller, but it is however easier for the buyer.

My Hilux has a slight oil leak in the turbo which would more than likely cause my car to fail. The buyer could probably get it through because it was accepted in the sale. If I needed to fix it, It would have been a $1500 plus fix. If I dont fix it, I just need to keep an eye on oil levels.

What is the reason that he will not sell it with RWC? There must be something he's not telling.

Guest firewolf

yes walk away unless you know a good mechanic that work for free you'll be looking at a load of hurt QLD has some of the toughest rwc reg in aus im a mechanic had some experience of this . just keep looking mate youll find something with a rwc good luck :chatterbox:

Archived