RETURNING TO UK,with pets,questions about arrival at Heathrow

Hi Sapphire,

I've done this....

My two dogs & one cat flew the day before me - they need 24 hours in the Quarantine Centre at Heathrow, so in my case I landed at about 8am & picked them up at 9am.

My cousin picked me up & we drove around the perimeter road to the centre....

It was quite funny because my cousin said 'Do you have any paper-work? You know - to show that the dogs are yours?'

I said 'Yes, 'course - lots (remembering with sinking feeling that it was in the dark depths of my luggage) - but don't worry - the dogs will know!'

Did they ever! And of course my cat had a heaps to say about this indignity!

To answer your question - if you can fly your pets the day - or a couple of days before yourselves - you can pick your pets up right after you land...

If they're on the same 'plane you'll need to wait 24 hours....

I wanted mine on the same 'plane initially - but as I was travelling down to Devon, that would have been terribly inconvenient - so I'm glad the pets went first....

We arrived Christmas 2009 & it was snow on the ground - my dogs were quite bemused by this cold stuff on their paws - coming from Queensland!

Anyway - hope that helps....

Dear Sapphire.

I must be going mad, i am sure i replied to this the other day, so please accept my apologies.

Basically the pets can be released around 4-5 hours after they land. You just go to the Animal Reception Centre and collect them - pretty simple.

The airline or pet shipper who is booking the flight should send over some docs (mainly customs forms) before the pets fly.

Or we can collect them and bring them to your home if you wish, give me a shout for a price if that is any good, but it is quite simple to do yourself.

Bob

Hi Sapphire,

I've done this....

My two dogs & one cat flew the day before me - they need 24 hours in the Quarantine Centre at Heathrow, so in my case I landed at about 8am & picked them up at 9am.

My cousin picked me up & we drove around the perimeter road to the centre....

It was quite funny because my cousin said 'Do you have any paper-work? You know - to show that the dogs are yours?'

I said 'Yes, 'course - lots (remembering with sinking feeling that it was in the dark depths of my luggage) - but don't worry - the dogs will know!'

Did they ever! And of course my cat had a heaps to say about this indignity!

To answer your question - if you can fly your pets the day - or a couple of days before yourselves - you can pick your pets up right after you land...

If they're on the same 'plane you'll need to wait 24 hours....

I wanted mine on the same 'plane initially - but as I was travelling down to Devon, that would have been terribly inconvenient - so I'm glad the pets went first....

We arrived Christmas 2009 & it was snow on the ground - my dogs were quite bemused by this cold stuff on their paws - coming from Queensland!

Anyway - hope that helps....

Thanks for the info Galahad, very helpful

I think mine will love the snow,and I cant wait to see thier reaction to it

I hope our timing works out well for picking them up

Dear Sapphire.

I must be going mad, i am sure i replied to this the other day, so please accept my apologies.

Basically the pets can be released around 4-5 hours after they land. You just go to the Animal Reception Centre and collect them - pretty simple.

The airline or pet shipper who is booking the flight should send over some docs (mainly customs forms) before the pets fly.

Or we can collect them and bring them to your home if you wish, give me a shout for a price if that is any good, but it is quite simple to do yourself.

Bob

Thanks for your reply Bob, it sounds a lot easier than bringing our animlas here

You sent our 3 cats over back in 2007, and we were so pleased with the service we received from Pet Air

I will indeed bear in mind, you offer a collection service, as we may very well need it, and I will be in touch nearer our flights, should this be the case

I presume once the animals land, they are unloaded quickly?

and then are they fed and watered,and left in their crates until they are collected?

Hi again Sapphire,

I don't think the dogs are kept in their crates - when my cousin & I walked into the Reception Centre I said (remember my paperwork was deep in my luggage) 'I've come to collect my two dogs & one cat from a Qantas flight yesterday....'

Before I could get the sentence out the lady I was talking to said 'Oh that will be Abby, Skippy & Purdy - they're lovely....Hang on...'

In a jiffy two very happy waggy tails were all over me on the really squishy sofa & then Purdy was brought out declaring loudly that this apparent one-up-dog-ship was definitely NOT ON !

I didn't get the feeling that the animals were ever 'just a number' or a 'shipment' - they are REAL animally people....

Bob's info re. the '4 to 5 hours until collection time' is probably much more accurate - it's just that Heathrow is such an awful airport to wait in (it's no Singapore!!) so I'm glad my furry family went the day before, so I could get out of there a.s.a.p.....

What part of the UK are you going to Sapphire ?

Hi Galahad

Thank you for all of the info

Its nice to hear that they are real animal people at Heathrow,and the animals are not just a number

I have seen the animal reception centre on TV, and they always seem to be that way, but until you experience it you never know,if its just for the cameras

I think getting our animals home is my greatest worry, but they will probably sleep most of the way, and be a lot more comfy than us,,,lol

We are heading back to our old village in Bedfordshire,,cant wait to get home,,,its been a long 4 years, and we are not ready to leave yet, as we still havent sold our house

Everything else is in place, so we are very frustrated now

Where in the UK are you Galahad ?

Hi Sapphire,

No definitely not just for the cameras....I mean I know you'd need to be an 'animal-person' to do the job in the first place - but I felt real affection for their charges....

I don't know Bedfordshire - other than it always looks a very nice part of the country....I'm in South Devon, on the coast.

I'm going back to Australia though - my horse is still there, with a friend in Queensland.....

For me it's been a very long two & a half years without him & my riding buddies....

I have relatives in Dorset though, so I will be a frequent visitor to England - like every Christmas probably...so I really feel I have the best of both worlds....

PM me if you like - I'm going to post a couple of photos of my dawgs & cat on here - when I learn how to ( ! ) but I'll send you some pics. direct - I can do that !

Archived