Pregnant and medicals

adsmich

Hi,

My husband and I are fast approaching medical time for a 175 and we have been trying for children. Does anyone know what happens if you are pregnant at your medical? I understand you have to do xrays. i do not want to put visa on hold. Can you still do a medical whilst being pregnant and can they do without xrays?

HELP any ladies or gentleman that have been in same situation?

Many thanks x

Guest bowow2011

Hi I'm sorry but no doctor will give you a medical whilst pregnant as its harmful to your baby, everybody else in family can have full medical but you'll have to wait until after the baby is born xx

If you are pregnent when you are asked by your CO to do your medicals you should inform your CO that you are pregnant. If you put your application on hold for the medicals (All Applicants should wait until the baby is born to have the medicals due to the medicals (&PCC) only having a 1 year time limit - which is the date that is used to make your first entry in to Australia).

Xrays are not reccommended to pregnant woman - and definatly not in the first trimester.

All memebers are required to have pass full medical and have chest xray for GSM visa.

The other complication is that if you have the medical and depending when visa is granted you may not be able to fly to Australia in time to validate visa due to your pregnancy, if not validated in the time lose visa and/or

The baby is born after visa is granted outside Australia, the baby will now need their own visa (Child Subclass 101 - costs $1995 offshore/$2960 onshore).

It is often advised if pregnant to hold off on medicals until baby is born so the baby can be added to existing visa application.

If you visa is granted and baby born in Australia it will gain Australian Citizenship, therefore no need for a visa.

If you are not yet pregnant and planning to move to Australia quickly - maybe before you get a CO (you say you are going to get one soon), depending if you are from a HR or LR country you could frontload your medicals. It maybe advisable to speak to a RMA on what would be the best thing to do.

Guest bowow2011

That is true that its not advised but you will be very lucky if you did choose to have a medical if a doctor would give you a medical (X-ray) as it is high risk to a baby, good luck with your plans xx

Hi,

My husband and I are fast approaching medical time for a 175 and we have been trying for children. Does anyone know what happens if you are pregnant at your medical? I understand you have to do xrays. i do not want to put visa on hold. Can you still do a medical whilst being pregnant and can they do without xrays?

HELP any ladies or gentleman that have been in same situation?

Many thanks x

Hello!

I was pregnant when it was time to have our medicals. The clinic sent through forms which stated that I could choose to have the xray - but they didnt recommend it as I was pregnant but it was my choice ultimately. Obviously I didnt have the xray, but I had all the rest of the medical. I think that was in July and our little boy was born in September, so I think it was the November we took baby for his medical & I had the chest xray then. We got our Visa at the beginning of December so it didn't really delay things that much. Speak to the clinic - ours was in Maidenhead & they were really knowledgeable and had a lady who specifically dealt with Visa applications. We have to go to the health place when we arrive in Oz - something to do with Tuberculosis - but I don't have it (!) I think it may be something to do with breastfeeding (nursing mothers are apparently more susceptible to it!)

Good luck (with both pregnancy and Visa!)

Hi,

Thank you so much for all the info.

We started back in june 2010 and lodged on 23rd dec 2011. But it looks like it could only be a matter of month or two and we can do our meds if not earlier looking at the forums. Agent has given me the wrong info so we kept trying. Not pregnant yet so may now put on hold til after all this as I do not want to wait longer. Would rather have a baby out there than jepodise our chances.

Thank you again big help xx

Hi,

I had my baby 4 months ago and my visa was put on hold until I had him. You do need to let immigration know that you are expecting a child (form 1022, change in circumstances). You can not have an x-ray whilst pregnant, it is too risky and the Panel Doctor won't allow you to have one. Plus your new baby will also need a medical too. Once your baby is born you need to complete form 1022 again to ask them to add your baby to the visa. Once your baby is born things move quickly, we have just had our medicals and penal clearance and now waiting for the decision.

Good luck, Kath.

Hi,

Thank you so much for all the info.

We started back in june 2010 and lodged on 23rd dec 2011. But it looks like it could only be a matter of month or two and we can do our meds if not earlier looking at the forums. Agent has given me the wrong info so we kept trying. Not pregnant yet so may now put on hold til after all this as I do not want to wait longer. Would rather have a baby out there than jepodise our chances.

Thank you again big help xx

When are you planning on moving to Australia?

As you are not pregnant yet and it shouldnt be long before you receive a CO - a few weeks? Some people in November have now received CO.

You could go and get your medicals done now. It is usually recommended that you wait for a CO but by getting them done now you wont have to worry about what might happen if you fall pregnant soon.

What did your Agent say??

Our so called 'Agent' isnt returning calls. trying to get hold of her but company is useless.

Going to see how the CO process proceeds in the next few weeks and go from there I think. I may get my medicals done soon if moving quickly.

Thank you all sooo much for your help. I am trully grateful x

• 1 month later...
Guest lookingforachange

Can anyone please tell me.We are Irish so dont get medicare only for emergency department.We are on a 457 visa and we are trying for a baby does anyone know the cost we have to pay out if we go public ?

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Resojus4

You can't have the medical without x-rays. You can go ahead with the x-ray whilst pregnant - but that would be at your own risk. Whilst there is lots of reasearch saying the risk to the foetus is small it still is a risk and personally, unless the x-ray was for emergency reasons I couldn't do it.

Mature Health Care

Archived