Job market in the NT

digitalis

lots of jobs in the local papers,right across the board.It really is a case of walking out of one job and into another. Companies like Serco looking for officers for the detention centre,lots of the haulage companies looking for drivers,auxillary staff needed at the hospital,quite a few of the garages are looking for mechanics and panel beaters,even Coles and Woolies seem to need staff !

Take a walk round our shopping centres and it seems every other shop has a card in the window asking for part time workers.

havent got the pm yet. hopefully come through in a minute. I know, wales and scotland have it bad! would be good just to find it easy to find a retail job etc. Seriously having a look at NT these days since there seems to be a lot of work for daves type of job, maybe the most likely state to find sponsorship in

We just arrived here two weeks ago and I agree with what Janine said - there are plenty of jobs out there! I bought the NT News on Saturday and there is an entire 28 page liftout section full of jobs! Seriously, I had a look through and cut out at least 18 jobs that I could apply for/interest me. (and I'm only looking at mostly admin type jobs) :)

Thank you for the feedback j9!

I perused the NT business section online and was amazed how well the local economy there was doing. Bumper harvests, large scale civil engineering contracts, new super-abbatoirs, hundreds of new homes being built, mining projects etc etc.

Completley different to over here lol.

Guest Guest31881
Thank you for the feedback j9!

I perused the NT business section online and was amazed how well the local economy there was doing. Bumper harvests, large scale civil engineering contracts, new super-abbatoirs, hundreds of new homes being built, mining projects etc etc.

Completley different to over here lol.

keep singing its praises like that and the NT Tourism will be offering you a job.... :biggrin::biglaugh:

There's lots of work in the Top End, especially if you have skills and qualifications. me and the hubby both got good jobs very quickly.

be warned however, while the job market is bouyant the cost of living is very high! expect to pay anything between $400 and $700 per week for rent,plus the vacancy rate is extremely low at the moment so prices are rising.

It's great here, plenty of work and lots to do, especially in the Dry Season but Darwin is not for everyone - its a bit like marmite you'll love it or hate it.

PS - I can only speak for Darwin, don't know much about the other cities such as Alice, Katherine, tennant Creek for jobs...but I would rather go interstate than there. Very remote and some areas, particularly Alice have real anti-social/crime problems.

Jo

We arrive next week, I have a job but my other half and son will be looking for jobs. Thanks for advice will get the NT news bought on arrival. We are really excited now. Need to get schools sourced too, it will be a busy week or so on arrival. How long have you been there now j9blossom? HAve you settled ok? We will be staying in Alura initially and I will be based work wise in casuearina.

thanks sarah

Hi Sarah.

We arrived around midnight on the 31st of March, so we have been here almost 5 weeks now :biggrin:

I love it here actually. The people are friendly, the weather is great (you won't complain of being cold!), there is a great 'feel' about the place. My husband already had a job lined up before we came over. Both of our children (age 9 & 6) have started school and are enjoying it. I have yet to find a job but thankfully we aren't too desperate for me to get one. I've only applied for one so far. There are plenty of others to apply for but I'm enjoying/making the most of my time to not be working :cool: (I'm currently looking at the online job ads to see what else I really should apply for this week, just so that I can at least have some 'options').

We live in the 'satellite city' of Palmerston which is about 20 or so mins drive from Darwin itself. (though still classed as being in Darwin, really....). So far we have found something to go to/see every weekend since we've been here which is great! We've explored some of the shops, walked around the waterfront area and discovered the little lagoon there to swim in (free!) and also the recently opened wave pool (which is so much fun!). We've been to the recent Superbikes event (motorbike racing). We went to the Darwin Life & Home Expo last weekend. Oh and an 'open cockpit' day at the air museum. I'm not sure what is on this weekend, I think my husband is going to take our son to something motorbike related (hubby is a motorbike mechanic/engineer). It is a 3 day weekend here so I'm quite happy to not be busy ALL weekend! lol

I don't think I have anything negative to say about the place really. Yes it's hot/warm/muggy .... yes it is a slightly slower pace (if you want something done quickly you need to lower your expectations. Lol. It took nearly 2 weeks to get one of our air con units fixed - we are renting to organised by the property manager.) But once you get your head around the lack of urgency in some things, you'll be fine :cute:

Edited by j9blossom