Where is the best place to live in Oz?!?!

Laura81

Hi, could really do with some advice please as to where to look to live in Australia?? I am a psychiatric nurse and my partner is an engineer in the brewery trade. We have been looking at Sydney as feel there's more going on there, however on looking at house prices seems expensive, is it a case of London prices over here or are there more affordable areas? I keep comparing prices to England but appreciate that the wages are alot better in Oz too. Many thanks x

What's the attraction of Sydney? The beaches, culture, sport, or work opportunities?

Melbourne is a bit cheaper, has a thriving cultural or arts scene. The beaches aren't as good, and the climate isn't quite as pleasant in winter. It's also a bit less bustling.

Adelaide is significantly cheaper, and counts as a regional centre if you're getting that kind of visa. It's smaller than Sydney and Melbourne, and I think that there's less going on too.

I don't know Perth, but I get the impression that there's less going on than Sydney and Melbourne. Prices are a bit lower, and it's benefiting from a shift if work from the East to the West with the resources boom. I believe that the beaches are good, as is the weather.

I haven't been to Brisbane, but I've heard of Sydneysiders moving up that way. Wages are a bit lower than Sydney, but living costs are down.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Sydney doesn't appeal to me at all, i would love to visit there it looks fantastic, but not to live there, mainly due to costs, i think Brisbane and the surrounding areas would be my choice, loads to do and see, fantastic weather, incredible beaches and a more affordable cost of living.

Been to Sydney a few times now, spent far too much time in stationary traffic. It's fun to look at the harbour bridge and the opera house, but far too crowded for me. I must be getting old!

Guest Guest68570

I really love Melbourne. Its evry european, which I think appeals to me. It has all the home comforts you need but still has nice aussie sunshine, 40 + Summer days, amazing nightlife. St Kilda pier, Brighton beach, Federation Square, its such a beautiful city. Brisbane is nice too very freindly, good weather. Went to Adelaide but found there wasnt enough going on to keep me entertained, ncie place though. Cairns is too hot. And I have never been to the west so i cant comment.

Hi, could really do with some advice please as to where to look to live in Australia?? I am a psychiatric nurse and my partner is an engineer in the brewery trade. We have been looking at Sydney as feel there's more going on there, however on looking at house prices seems expensive, is it a case of London prices over here or are there more affordable areas? I keep comparing prices to England but appreciate that the wages are alot better in Oz too. Many thanks x

If your a psych nurse check out the job situations for nurses as there are some changes in affect, I think it's in Victoria and SA.

Nursing is meant to be changing so just be aware.

I would probably choose Brisbane or Melbourne if you liked the look of Sydney.

We're headed to Perth ourselves and will visit the other states once were there.

There's no "best" place - it's a matter of finding what suits you best, and every person/couple is different.

It would be helpful to sit down and write a list of the sort of things you are looking for in an ideal situation and then PIOers can suggest the best (in their opinion) match. Climate can be important because it does vary quite a bit throughout Australia.

There is a lot going on in Sydney but getting around can be a nightmare as transport has not been well planned. Sydney has been listed as one of the most expensive cities in the world. The cheaper areas tend to be further out but then you may need an expedition to get to where things are going on

If your partner wants to continue as an engineer in the brewery trade your location may be determined by where he can find employment?

Guest biomedical scientist

We have lived in Canberra 4 months and love it! Surrounded by mountains and has a more temperate climate. The coast is 2 hrs drive, the mountains for skiing in winter 2 hrs, Sydney 3 hrs and Melbourne 7 hrs. It has a reputation of being boring but there's still plenty to do. A place is what you make it.

If I could start again I'd give Melbourne a miss. It's just the most bland and unispiring city I've been to. It reminds me of Tokyo, it only looks decent at night. The CBD and the suberbs are just full of the most awful looking buildings (Federation Square being a classic example). I'll give it some credit and admit it's easy to get around, which is useful when the crap weather has ruined your day out and you just want to get home.

If I could start again I'd give Melbourne a miss. It's just the most bland and unispiring city I've been to. It reminds me of Tokyo, it only looks decent at night. The CBD and the suberbs are just full of the most awful looking buildings (Federation Square being a classic example). I'll give it some credit and admit it's easy to get around, which is useful when the crap weather has ruined your day out and you just want to get home.

Really?! The impression I get is that it's vibrant, cosmoploitan, with a European feel (but never been there)...

Where do you live now?

I would consider where I was going to be able to get work before determining where I was going to live. Once you know where the work is you can determine where you want to live - different areas within the same city can have a very different vibe.

There are a lot of great cities and areas to live in apart from the state and territory Capitals as well.

Archived