Is Oz truly multi-cultural?

Guest arronludlam

Guest arronludlam

Hi

We are a family of 5 considering emmigrating to OZ as the multi-cultural appeal is a big draw.

My wife is of West Indian origin whilst my background is mainly european white and hence our 3 children are mixed race. We have read with interest a lot about how multi-cultural Australia is as a society but mostly on government web sites without having the chance to dig deeper.

I am interested in hearing from real people in Oz what kind of experience we might have i.e. how will the kids fit in at school, will we find problems with my wife and I fitting in.

To be clear - our sole purpose in coming is to fit in, live the australian way and make new friends.

Also I am guessing that some areas might be better for us than others, so I'd welcome any views on this, our key desires are (in order of preference):

1) Jobs - currently Im in IT but hoping long term to do something more outdoors based in Australia (possibly buy a franchise of some kind) - that said probably need to go where there are IT jobs to start with.

2) Sport - A big driver for us in moving to Oz is the sport cultural, in particular we need to be somewhere with a high interest in Rugby Union, ideally both professionally for entertainment and also with plenty of opportunities for youths to play (My son is a pretty useful number 6 in the UK)

3) On the coast - we love the beach, white sands and clear waters please

4) Low cost of living - we want to escape the the UK rat race and have less need to earn massive amounts of money to live in a small suburban house

At the moment Perth looks good from what Ive read but my only concern is for it perhaps being too isolated?

I look forward to hearing your views and thanks in advance

Arron Ludlam

Hi Arron

Welcome to PIO, I think Victoria would be better for you than Perth from what I've read there seem to be more jobs in IT but I could be wrong as i don't work in IT.

Melbourne has a wide range of race and culture from all corners of the world and trust me you wont stick out (colour of skin wise)

Victoria has got some wonderful beaches and is the home of sport so no matter what you and your family want to try your hand at there will be a sport for you.

There are still some great places to live in Melbourne without breaking the bank its just finding the right area for you.

The other thing you will need to think about is just how far away Perth is. Melbourne is only an 1 hour from Sydney, Tasmania, SA 2 hours from Qld (flight) or about 10 hours drive (melb to Syd)

Hope this helps

Geoffrey

Hi

We are a family of 5 considering emmigrating to OZ as the multi-cultural appeal is a big draw.

My wife is of West Indian origin whilst my background is mainly european white and hence our 3 children are mixed race. We have read with interest a lot about how multi-cultural Australia is as a society but mostly on government web sites without having the chance to dig deeper.

I am interested in hearing from real people in Oz what kind of experience we might have i.e. how will the kids fit in at school, will we find problems with my wife and I fitting in.

To be clear - our sole purpose in coming is to fit in, live the australian way and make new friends.

Also I am guessing that some areas might be better for us than others, so I'd welcome any views on this, our key desires are (in order of preference):

1) Jobs - currently Im in IT but hoping long term to do something more outdoors based in Australia (possibly buy a franchise of some kind) - that said probably need to go where there are IT jobs to start with.

2) Sport - A big driver for us in moving to Oz is the sport cultural, in particular we need to be somewhere with a high interest in Rugby Union, ideally both professionally for entertainment and also with plenty of opportunities for youths to play (My son is a pretty useful number 6 in the UK)

3) On the coast - we love the beach, white sands and clear waters please

4) Low cost of living - we want to escape the the UK rat race and have less need to earn massive amounts of money to live in a small suburban house

At the moment Perth looks good from what Ive read but my only concern is for it perhaps being too isolated?

I look forward to hearing your views and thanks in advance

Arron Ludlam

G'day mate, Have a think about south east Qld while you check out Melbourne...Vics only know about Aussie rules, whereas Qld is rugby mad (both codes).

Quite a few IT jobs

IT jobs in Queensland (QLD) - job search, career advice and employment information at CareerOne

Quite a few excellent beaches

Brisbane Beaches, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast: Beaches in Brisbane Area, QLD, Australia AU

Cost of living

Melbourne soars up expensive cities list

And, S E Qld has a far better climate:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest arronludlam

Cheers Bob, I had noticed Brisbane in some of the research I was doing and was going to give it a look anyway. The all round weather is very tempting especially coming from the UK.

Am I right in saying that Super 14 side the Reds are based in Brisbane?

Its not the end of the world but does anyone know how far the nearest ski resort is from Brisbane?

No one so far has mentioned Sydney at all - Im guessing thats because it doesnt meet my low cost of living requirement?

Cheers

Arron

Guest arronludlam

meant to add that I think my initial research is now looking like being between Perth, Brisbane and Melbourne

Cheers Bob, I had noticed Brisbane in some of the research I was doing and was going to give it a look anyway. The all round weather is very tempting especially coming from the UK.

Its not the end of the world but does anyone know how far the nearest ski resort is from Brisbane?

No one so far has mentioned Sydney at all - Im guessing thats because it doesnt meet my low cost of living requirement?

Cheers

Arron

Victoria, NSW...... Victoria having the best ski resort

that right Victorians don't like rugby......... Melbourne storm!!!!!! I'm sure they have a higher turn out than most other teams

Cheers

Arron

Yes, mate, but not doing too well at the moment:confused:

Ski resort??? Hmmmmm, lots of water skiing.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

that right Victorians don't like rugby......... Melbourne storm!!!!!! I'm sure they have a higher turn out than most other teams

St George beat them:hug::yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest arronludlam

Cheers john, intrigued to see you've gone to oz from Essex as I'm just next door in suffolk. Is there anything from east Anglia you miss?

Cheers john, intrigued to see you've gone to oz from Essex as I'm just next door in suffolk. Is there anything from east Anglia you miss?

Not realy mate we come back home after a year. Not for us unfortunatly

I am sure that NSW would debate that point with you :twitcy: Thredbo, Perisher and Smiggins think they have that accolade!

As for multiculturalism - yes we have it but sometimes I wonder if it isnt more multiethnic. I think a lot is made of our "multiculturalism" but there are enclaves and not as assimilated as people may think. You certainly wouldnt stand out here as being out of place physically, we are a mongrel lot (in the nicest possible way - no slur just an indication that we are really mixed!)

I can answer that one!!!! I'm a Cambridge girl.

I really miss the villages, the hedgerows that change with the seasons, the history at every turn - heck, I even miss the rapeseed fields in May - such vibrant colour! I miss the daffs on the approach to every village and the community feel of the villages. I would love the chance to become a metal detectorist in an area that is replete with historical finds (my family originated within minutes of the Mildenhall Treasure!). I miss the Cambridge market and just walking the streets of the town. I miss not being able to drive for an hour and seeing something completely different and interesting. Added to that, I am jealous of the long summer evenings down by the Cam having dinner in a pub watching the ducks and eating really good cheap pub food. I even miss the Park and Ride - wonderful concept!

I can answer that one!!!! I'm a Cambridge girl.

I really miss the villages, the hedgerows that change with the seasons, the history at every turn - heck, I even miss the rapeseed fields in May - such vibrant colour! I miss the daffs on the approach to every village and the community feel of the villages. I would love the chance to become a metal detectorist in an area that is replete with historical finds (my family originated within minutes of the Mildenhall Treasure!). I miss the Cambridge market and just walking the streets of the town. I miss not being able to drive for an hour and seeing something completely different and interesting. Added to that, I am jealous of the long summer evenings down by the Cam having dinner in a pub watching the ducks and eating really good cheap pub food. I even miss the Park and Ride - wonderful concept!

I missed all that stuff as well Quoll, as much as Aus had many wonerful things it lacked a strong culture.

arronludlam I would tend to agree with both Geothrey and Quall. Both Victoria and Nsw I think wouls suit you, with Melbourne slightly tipping it.

I know this goes against what most people have said on the thread but my brother is in a multicultural relationship and has lived in Sydney for several years and he says he does get some general racist comments from people (more than UK - but we live in the middle of London so I'm not sure how it compares to less multicultural cities/places). My flatmate in London is a young, university educated girl from Brisbane and she said to me recently 'We hate Asians in Australia' (There are so many things wrong with this it is not worth discussing), however I am a bit worried about this kind of view (I know I know, one persons view etc etc).

Guest arronludlam

thanks guys for all the info - i have today been advised by an emmigration company that really i should look at a state sponsored visa to either south oz (Adelaide) or WA (Perth).

I guess short term at least I will have to focus on these areas.

I know this goes against what most people have said on the thread but my brother is in a multicultural relationship and has lived in Sydney for several years and he says he does get some general racist comments from people (more than UK - but we live in the middle of London so I'm not sure how it compares to less multicultural cities/places). My flatmate in London is a young, university educated girl from Brisbane and she said to me recently 'We hate Asians in Australia' (There are so many things wrong with this it is not worth discussing), however I am a bit worried about this kind of view (I know I know, one persons view etc etc).

It goes both ways here actually - it is perfectly possible for a white person to be the recipient of racist comments or actions from another ethnic group - but yes, things like that do happen. Sydney is incredibly multi ethnic and someone of a different colour wouldnt stand out at all - whereas they would, and probably with some comments, in smaller towns.

Australia for all its multicultural touting is actually inherently quite racist and that is from ALL ethnic groups not just the white ones although the government would never accept that as fact and there are all sorts of laws to prevent it - doesnt stop the way that people think.

Archived