How easy to find a unfurnished Perth rental in Jan2010?

Guest livejazz

Guest livejazz

I am a bit worried getting a rental in january..might be hard is most of australia goes on holiday. does anyone have any experience of finding a rental in perth during january? from start to completion how long does it take to get the keys to a property?

we are hoping for an area like swanbourne or inglewood etc. somewhere with a school (that has no waiting list).

we'll have a passport and a bank account setup by then, we are hoping this is all we need (although the bank account will show a uk address but be from an australian bank)

I have read in places we need to score "points" or something to get a rental.

I am a bit worried getting a rental in january..might be hard is most of australia goes on holiday. does anyone have any experience of finding a rental in perth during january? from start to completion how long does it take to get the keys to a property?

we are hoping for an area like swanbourne or inglewood etc. somewhere with a school (that has no waiting list).

we'll have a passport and a bank account setup by then, we are hoping this is all we need (although the bank account will show a uk address but be from an australian bank)

I have read in places we need to score "points" or something to get a rental.

hi ...you may be better trying to secure a short term rental before you leave ....apart from it being the hols ...to secure long term you usually need references and a job in hand to score the points ....our rental only took 2 days from looking to moving in ...but we had been staying with friends for 6 weeks who gave us a ref and o/h had started his job by then

mrs keily

Guest livejazz

interesting..2 days is really quick, i think the australians dont hang around when they want some money. just like anywhere.

so assume we had

- uk passports

- one person job offer starting in a month

- oz bank accounts, but uk address

would that be enough?

in terms of references, do you need some written references to take with us, or do we simply supply the names of the people (it would then take weeks for references to come across)

Guest scotsgirl

Hi there, just a word of advice the rental market has got a little tougher lately there is a process that they follow and it can take up to 2 weeks to get your keys now. Not many people are buying houses so more people are renting which means more people are applying and it is the owner who now chooses who is the most appropriate candidate. I would definately bring references with you and especially those people's email addresses to make the process faster, I would change your licences when you come to Australian ones and also apply for a medicare card as that gives you points also. You need 100 points but your passports should also be good proof. There is a website www.realestate.com.au which has rentals that come up every week also the newspaper that comes out on a Wednesday and Saturday have private rentals which you do not have to go to as much hassle. You may wish to stay in a holiday home for the first 4 weeks until you get on your feet. Hope this helps. Thank you Louise

I was looking for four weeks before i managed to find somewhere, Im currently trying to help a friend move and again, its taken 3 weeks so far and no joy. I would def rent a short term place for a few weeks to give you some time to find exactly what you want.

Good luck

Emma

x

Guest pippa

I would also recommend you organise a few weeks of accommodation before you arrive, otherwise could get a bit stressful! I think that a passport and bank account should be enough for a 100 point ID check. Written references from any previous landlords, or from a previous boss, would be very useful. Private rentals are often a lot simpler than going through real estate agents. Swanbourne and Inglewood are both lovely areas. Swanbourne is close to some of Perth's best beaches. Inglewood is fairly close to the city and Mt Lawley cafe strip, but not to the beach. West Leederville and Floreat are also nice and would suit someone who likes the look of Swanbourne and Inglewood. All government schools will accept any new students who live within their catchment area. So wherever you live there will be a school without a waiting list. Private schools are a different story. The government schools in the areas mentioned would all be nice.

Archived